**** DONE: 1/48 BF109F-2 "Hermännchen" - Winter War / Eastern Front WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Perfect over-spray. What did you mask with? Blu-Tac? Freehand? I like that you didn't hard-mask that line.

Good move on the spinner Andy, it's always a conundrum this two tone black/white spinner.

Good looking spinner! Man, I hate getting dust specks in my finish. What do you guys do to minimize dust?

Dust specs, fragments of carpet hair and now dog hairs. If remember, I usually do a light dust down the parts for spraying with a soft 2 inch paint brush. Any I find after spraying I usually flick off and spray on but if the paint is set, prise of the offending speck/hair with the sharp point of the modelling knife and repaint, either by hand or spray. When mixing paints for spray I always make a little extra which I keep until the end of the build so that I always have a match, should I need it.

Last edited:
Freehand! Excellent job. I've got some homework to do... And less than two weeks to do it!

Well, I'm not going to rush it but have set aside the Stuka to concentrate on this one. If it's done, it's done. If it ain't, it ain't.

To that end, I finished off the Revi so I could add the windscreen in preparation for painting. The sight got a reflector and a sun visor, the latter painted with a thinned green, and a power chord made of lead wire. The rear canopy was not a good fit and will set me back a bit of time to attend to the prominent overbight. Unfortunately my dental skills are next to none and I'm scratching my head a bit whether or not to putty the fuselage up to the frame or try to file down the frame to match the fuselage. I think a combination of both may be in order.

That gunsight is fabulous.

Tricky problem with the canopy, I agree. I don't use putty at all so I'm no help there, but it may be better to build up the fuselage at that point. When I run into issues like that I double mask the canopy and apply a thin bead or drop of Krazy Glue to the gap and then sand the canopy down while building the fuselage up, if that makes sense. I haven't met a filler putty yet that I trust...

I do hope you'll have it done 'cause I'd love to see it, but I agree with the "if it's done, it's done" mindset. Every single time I've rushed a 'real' build I've regretted it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs guys. Still scratching my head a bit too. And just so you know, it's not like I didn't align it properly. The step is there on both sides.

Users who are viewing this thread