**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75A-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for calling in gent's, and double thanks for the encouragement.

I've spent about 6 hours on this baby today and for the time, not a lot to show. Were at that fiddly must fix stage, little add-ons and get ready for the decals. The last thing I've done today is brush some very precious 'On go' where the decals will be placed.

Gunsight mount added.

20131207-1a.jpg

Nose gun muzzles added. I'm waiting for a couple of specials for the wing guns.

20131207-1b.jpg

Tailwheel positioned, but not fixed, checking the mud protection bib.

20131207-1c.jpg

Not so visible but the windscreen support rods and cross bar fitted.

20131207-1d.jpg

Propeller all done and ready for fitting.

20131207-1e.jpg

Tail fin navigation light fitted, I really wanted to see what it would look like.

20131207-1f.jpg

Not looking so pretty but the painted out Escadrille areas, I may just give these a little soft sand down. I also used acrylic paint on top of the future type protection coating so also a little water may be gently used to cut it back. We will see.

20131207-1g.jpg

Think I'm being dragged out for Christmas shopping tomorrow. Any requests!!!

One request...... make sure I am NOT dragged out to the mall. Wait, I am single now days... knew there was an upside to her running off with the pastor.
Dale

Thanks for looking in folks. I've had some good progress these last couple of days, decals on and she's up on her own legs. Stacks more still to do though, but were getting there.

20131211-1a.jpg

20131211-1b.jpg

20131211-1c.jpg

Looking good Vic. French camo has always intrigued me. No rhyme or reason, done by a committee where the members never showed up for the meetings.

Geo

Nice work ,Vic!
the camo have good shades

You put both aileron down...

Looking good Vic. French camo has always intrigued me. No rhyme or reason, done by a committee where the members never showed up for the meetings.

Geo

nota_p10.jpg

"read on paint scheme 1939 of Morane Saulnier"
"les lignes de séparation des couleurs et la répartition de celles ci sont données sur le dessin qu'à titre indicatif,
leur forme et la répartition des couleurs doivent varier d'un avion à l'autre"

"lines of color separation and distribution of those colour are on the drawing as a guide only,
their shape and color distribution must vary from one aircraft to the other "

The reason was simply to have never two scheme identical.
When there is a pattern, it is easier for detect an aircraft than when you don't know what you will see.
After the surprise effect, sometimes it's too late for shoot it, or escape.

Last edited:
Well, well, what a silly old duffer I am. Thanks for looking in folks and for the gently reminder on my silly mistake. Also nice to see you back Waroff, how was Thailand?

As it so happens, I was not very happy with the way things were with this build and my mate Old Bill up in Sydney was of the same opinion. The flaps were not looking or fitting so well, the look of them was also questionable and I had made a bit of a mess with the demarcation line between upper and lower fuselage. I'd use blue tak and this had become very soft in our summer heat and mixed in with the paint and was truly stuck to the model.

So with all these little things along with the aileron c0ck-up, it was either bin the machine or take on the challenge and fix it. Well, after sleeping on it, this morning I decided to give it a go and stripped back the decals, removed all the offending parts and had a go at fixing the paintwork. This is what it looked like after the reverse build.

20131212-1a.jpg

20131212-1b.jpg

20131212-1c.jpg

20131212-1d.jpg

20131212-1e.jpg

I have another set of flaps, resin and PE bits so these will replace the removed parts once there made up.

I also have a question. The modern day H75A shows a couple of aerials on the underbelly which I'm sure are the modern day equivalent and I know that in 1940 there were some fitments on the belly. See arrowed areas below.

20131212-1f.jpg

Can anyone confirm if these are what were fitted in 1940 and if not, any ideas as to what was there would have looked like.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back