**** DONE: 1/48 Curtiss Hawk 75A-2 - Aircraft in Foreign Service WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi,

I stay two weeks in Thailand, I like this this country and people. It is very different, it is sure, I will go another time.

Yes there was these draisn under fuselage, but there was not a long pipe on the fuel drain

drains10.jpg

Hi,

Yes there was these draisn under fuselage, but there was not a long pipe on the fuel drain.

Fantastic Waroff, just what I needed. Glad you also liked Thailand, did you visit the water markets?

Don't know if this would be a clue or not Vic.

Thanks Bill old chap, that gives me a good guide not only with what I now know is the fuel vent but also with the gun sight which I had an inkling about but was not sure.

this cut-away of "A2" is nice but there are some errors
"49 bevel drive": do not exist
"54, 7,5mm Browning", their lenght is too long, they was ahead the main spar, they were no through the spar.
"61", the ammunition boxes were ahead main spar, on each side the guns
and their access were by lower surface of wing not as on the drawing.
"9", there were 5 cowling flaps on each side, not 6.
"14 forward fuel tank"..at this place there were the ammunition boxes and shells, links chute.

That is interesting about the Bowning and ammunition boxes ahead of the main spar, the Browning barrels would have been quite short and one would have thought the undercarriage leg housing would have got in the way when you have double Browning fitted on each wing.

Good work on the corrections Vic. It seems strange that the guns and ammo boxes would be further forward.
Although I don't doubt the comment, presuming there is some evidence, that would put the front of the receiver right up against the inside of the wing leading edge, with virtually all of the barrel exposed, and the fit of the ammo magazines and belt feed tracks would be very tight indeed.

"54, 7,5mm Browning", their lenght is too long, they was ahead the main spar, they were no through the spar.
I'm wrong when i wrote "main spar" for the web ahead the wheel bay.

Although I don't doubt the comment, presuming there is some evidence, that would put the front of the receiver right up against the inside of the wing leading edge, with virtually all of the barrel exposed, and the fit of the ammo magazines and belt feed tracks would be very tight indeed.

from drawings "75-03-600 R/L panel assem. wing"(blue lines) and "75-69-650 gun install wing" (black lines)
guns_b10.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for looking in guys and thanks also Waroff for the confirmation on the gun positioning. I have another question for you, if you wouldn't mind.

It concerns the radio aerial wire from the tail fin to its entry into the airframe. The picture below shows what the artists interpretation of the wiring should look like, tail fin to each wingtip and the wire to fuselage, but from the photographs I have been able to find from the WWI era, none seem to have this configuration and the closest I can get is a wire from the tail fin to just behind the cockpit (see red line and blue arrow). Can you throw any light on this.

H-75A 2-1 Plan Profile.jpg

Progress is coming on and I'm hoping to be reapplying the decals at some stage tomorrow.

t07036.gif

Vic, simply lovely work. Seems as if you are getting it all sorted out. The paint job is a work of art.

And, yes, she did run off with the pastor who never left his wife. Some how that is my fault. oh well.

Thanks for looking in guys and thanks also Waroff for the confirmation on the gun positioning. I have another question for you, if you wouldn't mind.

It concerns the radio aerial wire from the tail fin to its entry into the airframe. The picture below shows what the artists interpretation of the wiring should look like, tail fin to each wingtip and the wire to fuselage, but from the photographs I have been able to find from the WWI era, none seem to have this configuration and the closest I can get is a wire from the tail fin to just behind the cockpit (see red line and blue arrow). Can you throw any light on this.

View attachment 249785

Vic,

The layout of the antenna wire depended on the kind of a radio-set. The one that can be seen in the profile is more charakteristyc for early Hawk75 (P-36) without the antenna mast. These French Hawks had the antenna mast what indictes the antenna wire run like you showed in the profile with the red line. However I have found that the entry point to the radio-set in the fuselage could have been just behind the mast at the top of the fuselage but not on the side.

insulating terminal on the top fuselage, slightly right side, juste behind the rear window
insula10.jpg

On this pic, we can see the mast antenna and the wires which go from tail to each wing tip,
(the lenght of wire of this dipole antenna vary with the type of radio, so the position of insulator could be different)
the wire going from insulating terminal fuselage to the dipole antenna on the tail is not visible
wire10.jpg

details
Ties on the tail and wingtip
attach10.jpg

Last edited:
Many thanks you good and trusting friends, so I go with the wing tip-tail fin-wing tip antenna with a connection to the fuselage starboard positioned insulator from the starboard wire as per the original profile. This is good as I'd already drilled the holes to accommodate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back