**** DONE: 1/48 F6F-5P VF-88 Yorktown - Jet/Recon/Transport GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can't see inside the fairing too much, but maybe these will help a little

Attachments

• f6fhellcat01.jpg
    f6fhellcat01.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 70
  • f6fhellcat02.jpg
    f6fhellcat02.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 75
Thanks for that Glenn, see what I can do wit it now.

Had a lot of time today, so have tackled the cockpit. Did 99% of the PE stuff. Havent painted the while thing yet, just the panels.

Found if I left the belts themselves attached to the PE frame, and taped it to the table, I could manipulate the pieces and get them in place easier and faster.

The OLD GOAT sailors on.

Last edited:
I am old.... I forgot the pictures........... duh!

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 15a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 15a.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 57
  • GB17 F6F-5P 15d.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 15d.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 54
  • GB17 F6F-5P 15b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 15b.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 62
  • GB17 F6F-5P 15c.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 15c.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 57
Aaron, it pretty much is easy. A couple of things I do.

I have small squares of 20mm thick acrylic I use as pads for working on, about two inches square. I take a wad of blue tac and stick the part to it on the block. This way I don't have to handle the part.

I use the curved blade scalpel for cutting the PE part loose from the frame, cutting the tab loose as close to the part as you can. The idea of putting some tape on the back then cutting so the part doesn't disappear, was posted here a couple of days ago and is a good ides. I use a ball of blue tac, rolled to a point at one end for picking up the part. Then use a piece of wire to apply some Super Glue to the place you want to put the part. hold the part over the glue dot, and with a pointed exacto press the piece in place, pulling it off the blue tac and hold it there for a second or two till the SG sets.

When I apply the face of the instrument panel I use the white glue. I dot glue to the instrument faces, all of them, with a tooth pick end I have dipped into the glue. Then place the face, using the pointed blue tac again, over the instruments, press in place with the blade again, squishing the glue thru the holes for the instruments. Let it dry and the glue goes clear at the instruments.

Just make sure the plastic is FLAT where you're going to place the PE. Use the pointed blue tac to handle the PE, the stuff pops out of tweezers. If you want plastic blocks to work on, hit the plastic suppliers and see if you can find some off cuts.

Hope I haven't been too wordy.

Thanks....

The pit is done...... just need to add the glass to the gun sight.

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 16c.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 16c.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 46
  • GB17 F6F-5P 16b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 16b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 43
  • GB17 F6F-5P 16a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 16a.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 46
Old Bear eh??????? Good thing that's the Only thing my mother saw outside the teepee when I was born!

So today is an off day, drilled a hole for the camera to peek thru. It had a little half circle of sheet metal on the windy side. So I punched a hole in some styrene and did a little shaping, glued it on and Bob's your uncle (there yah are).

The PE strap for the aux tank just didn't look the part to me. So I used a sprue piece from some PE, drilled a couple of holes, one each end. I got some bead pins a long while back. Cut the heads of on the side to make sort of a rectangle, stuffed them thru the holes and bent the ends round. There yah are!

The button sticking up from the other side will be trimmed down for the gascap.

I sailor on.

Attachments

• GB17 F6F-5P 17a.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 17a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 65
  • GB17 F6F-5P 17b.jpg
    GB17 F6F-5P 17b.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 71

Users who are viewing this thread

Back