**** DONE: 1/48 ICM Spitfire Mk IX AE-B Ian Keltie of 402 SQDN RCAF Commonwealth GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Resin parts arrived!

Attachments

• 101125 Resin Parts Arrive.jpg
    101125 Resin Parts Arrive.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 130
  • 101125 Seat and Prop.jpg
    101125 Seat and Prop.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 101125 Seat.jpg
    101125 Seat.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 103
Nice-looking resin parts Andy. What's your feelings on the moulded harness though? I must admit, I prefer a separate harness for the '3D' effect, although with careful painting, the moulded variety can look very convincing.

I also like the separate harness but the resin ones so stand out nicely if, as you say, they can be highlighted with paint techniques. I found the PE Sutton Harness provide by Eduard (used on my Mk I Spit) to be difficult to work with because of the separate shoulder pieces and don't really want to do that again.

This is my first resin seat purchase, driven by the ICM's omission of the indention on the bottom and by the fact that I have another ICM Spit (an Aussi Mk VIII) in my stash. Since the seats were sold in pairs, I went for it.

They are nice clean resin parts Andy, good purchase mate and I tend to agree with you on the Sutton Harness, had a devil of a problem with my Spit, took a whole afternoon just to get them to stay put.

Inst panel done. Dials are hand painted this time and a light silver drybrush applied before applying Future to the instrument faces. Didn't bother with the decals I used in my Spit I. And those aren't finger prints; ICM's instrument mold has the weird wavey tecture thing going on.

Attachments

• 101212 Inst Panel.jpg
    101212 Inst Panel.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 104
Thanks Terry. I'm sure the mold maker has left his fingerprints everywhere! They're on my MkVIII as well (same molds I'm sure).

Another thing to fix on this kit are sink marks and there are some sizeable ones on the wings. Also, the kit provides for 3 different wing tips and the joint between tip and wing has a step in it that needs to be sanded down. Fortunately the sink marks on the wings along the ailerons aren't deep and a couple of layers of primer sanded smooth appears to do the trick.

Attachments

• 101202 Wings.jpg
    101202 Wings.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 132
  • 101202 Wing close-up.jpg
    101202 Wing close-up.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 91
Nope, gunbays are gonna be tighter than a crab's a$$.

I have a Mk VIII and I'll probably have the gunbay opn for that one.

Last edited:
Good work Andy. I noticed the sink marks near the aileron hinge lines on my MkVIII kit, and yes, they are all the same kit, just different decals.

Nice stuff Andy and if you don't mind me asking, how do you manage to hand paint the dials so accurately, i.e. what size brush do you use or do you just dry brush very gently within the dial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back