**** DONE: 1/48 La-5FN – VVS/Eastern Front 1941-45 Split Build, GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for that Kevin.

Thought it about time for a little update. As it is I'd not done much until my Ash-82FN engine arrived a couple of days ago. So with the resin engine, some scratch building, bits of the La-5 kit and some etched detail I set to work. Progress has been slow but here are some pic's of my efforts so far:

110310-1A.jpg

110310-1B.jpg

The spider array of ignition wires being added.

110310-1C.jpg
110310-1D.jpg

The engine as it is at the moment with the currently separate crankcase.

110310-1E.jpg

The kit supplied engine.

Thanks gents and yes Andy we are planning on an open look but will have to do a bit of modification to the kit to make it fit snug. Possibly get some painting done today and then the fiddly job of fitting the 28 bits of exhaust, Karl knows all about that.

My thanks once again to all for your interest and comment, it's a nice feeling knowing people are looking in.

After a number of days procrastinating and cussing the engine is finished and bedded though not as yet sealed in. The hardest part was locating all those exhaust pipes correctly and securely it was fiddly and at times tiresome but I'm sure many of you will have already been down this route. Anyway, here's a few pics for your perusal.

110313-1A.jpg
110313-1D.jpg
110313-1F.jpg
110313-1C.jpg
110313-1E.jpg

Mulling over some plans I have for this little fellow I've noticed that on the stbd tail aileron there is a small flap which I assume is something to do with trimming the aircraft against the power of the engine torque. The operation of tis trim is by a small actuator or rod coming from the main stbd stabiliser and as would be expected it's not something one would find on man kits, so taking a leaf out of Andy's (Crimea River) book, I've made one. Now I must do a methodical check of all other drawings to see if anything else has been missed.

110313-1G.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks mate, it's a bit of white plastic Bill with a bit of fuse wire and a modified bit of etched material and some intricate filing and drilling and a bl00dy big magnifying glass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back