<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Mosquito NF.XII - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks my friend. Binned the modelling, and watched a couple of DVDs instead - and now I'm wide awake, instead of sleeping !
Grrrr !
Where's that bottle of Scottish White Wine ....................

Thanks chaps.

That info regarding serial number HJ671 possibly came from "The Squadrons of the Royal Air Force and Commonwealth, 1918 - 1988", by James J Halley, published by Air Britain and, overall, an excellent and mainly accurate reference - it's where I found the same representative serial number.
However, HJ671 was a FB.VI, not a NF.XII.
It's possible that this is a typo, and perhaps it should be some similar combination of the numbers, such as 167 for example, but in the HK serial range, 97 of which were built as NF.II's and converted to NF.XII standard by Marshall's of Cambridge.
The serials listings for the NF.XII show the brief unit history use for each airframe, with Sqns, OTU, MU etc, but 46 Sqn is not listed among these !
As I mentioned earlier, I can only presume that those Mosquitos used by the Squadron were 'hand me downs' from other units or MUs, with the service life with the Squadron being so short, that the Aircraft Movement Cards did not show the transfer to the Squadron for whatever reason, perhaps as the use was a 'stop gap' before the Squadron disbanded and re-formed as a transport unit, in a different Theater. It's probable that the only source showing the required information will be the Sqn ORB for the period - IF the serial numbers were recorded.

Anyway, I'm about to start on the nose / fuselage joint assembly, to check final alignment for the resin 'thimble' nose, and then get the cockpit assembled, detailed and painted, so that the fuselage can be completed, with the resin nose fitted and fully finished.
I now need to decide whether or not to scratch-build a 'master' for the later type of radio equipment, and then mould this in resin, or whether to just use the older style 1154 / 1155 units as provided in the kit (and in most Mossie kits), which will save a bit of time, and a lot of effort.
I will need at least another two sets of the later SCR radio equipment, for use in further Mosquito models, as well as a couple of 'Gee' monitors for the same (although it seems that 'Gee' wasn't fitted to the NF.XIIs), so I'll have to make the 'masters' at some stage, but as this model is unlikely to receive close scrutiny on such detail, I really don't want to go to a lot of effort, when the kit parts, once under the canopy, will probably be 'good enough'. I also have another model to complete for a museum, so I really don't want to spend too much time on the Mosquito, on what might prove to be unnecessary work, especially as I'm not totally sure if the later radios were in fact fitted !
I'll get on with the build, and make a final decision when I get nearer to that stage.
All being well, now that I've recharged all my camera batteries, i might have some pics to show later tonight.

Possible conversion from an FBVI? The production site that Geo posted does have it serving last with 46 squadron and then the acronym "NFT" which I have not figured out.

Last edited:
Hmm.
All 97 NF.XIIs were conversions from NF.IIs, but maybe a FB.VI got thrown the Squadron's way too ?
The NFT normally stands for Night Flying Test, or, depending on the context of use, Navigation Flight Test, the former being a test of the aircraft and its equipment prior to a night Op, whilst the latter was a Navigation test of the pilot, but I wonder if, in this instance, it meant Night Fighter Training, where a 'spare' FB.VI was allocated for crew training, bearing in mind that the Squadron was converting from Beaufighters ?
Oh, why do I always seem to get the complicated and frustrating projects ?!!!

I found the acronym definition on that site. "No Further Trace", this occurring after the 46 sqn service. So they were unable to find any further movement cards or crash reports I suppose.

No, it's with the buried Turkish FW190's.

Nothing yet from our aviation history geek Terry but he's digging. Not holding my breath but he said he would let me know today or tomorrow if he finds anything.

Thanks very much Andy, I think you're right in thinking that little will be found regarding the NF.XII with 46 Sqn, but you never know ...
BTW, I made an error in describing the conversion from NF.II to NF.XII - all references to this should read F.II, not NF.II.

Still working on the fuselage joints and cockpit. The job was held up as my matt black paint had dried up. The LHS is out of stock, so I'll risk using the Satin black instead, and hope it dries properly !

A little later than originally intended, but I finally managed to get some pics of some of the progress in the cockpit and fuselage area.
I decided to go with the kits' 1154 / 1155 radio equipment, and prepared the rear shelf, and the kit parts, after first adding a little bit of detail to the cockpit walls.

The separate entrance hatch door was cemented in the closed position, and the telescopic boarding ladder was scratch-built, in the folded position, and attached to the door's central frame, with a thin strip of masking tape glued in place to represent the securing strap.
The door jettison lever, and the locking latch, were also added, using thin plastic rod.
A part is provided for the switch panel and fuel management console, and this was painted satin black and fitted to the starboard wall. Wiring was added, using lead wire, and the mounting brackets again simulated by thin strips of masking tape. A decal is provided for the fuel gauge instruments, and this will be added once the cockpit area has been painted, and the details enhanced.
The kit part for the throttle quadrant and compass has been fitted to the port wall, and wiring and switch consoles added, using lead wire, plastic channel and masking tape. The details will be picked out once the overall cockpit grey green has been painted.
The wing spar and rear cockpit parts have been assembled, with the Navigator's head armour scratch-built and fitted in the folded position, and some wiring and the transformer unit fitted to the radio shelf. The internal, bomb bay detail will be left bare, as this area will not be seen, as the cannon bay and rear bay will be closed and sealed.
Some rather 'Micky Mouse' decals are provided to represent the seat harnesses, but I opted to make my own, using thin paper and plastic rod, and these were fitted to the Navigator's seat, and the Pilot's seat. Detail will be added once the straps have been painted.
The Pilot's seat lacks the padded leather back rest cushion, so this was fashioned using 'Milliput', before fitting the arm rests, and adding a harness release cable, again using lead wire and plastic rod.
The instrument panel has been painted overall satin black, and a gloss clear coat applied, ready for the instruments decal. Given that this settles down properly, the landing gear and flap levers will be represented by fine stretched sprue, and a few other small details added, before fitting the radar equipment and fitting this assembly to the cockpit floor.
The kit provides the Indicator and Control units for the A.I. Mk.IV radar fitted to the NF.II but, with a little bit of 'tweaking' and the addition of some wiring, I'm hoping I can make this look at least a little like the A.I. MkVIII set, and I think it should pass inspection when viewed under the canopy.

Next step is to paint the interior colour, Cockpit Grey Green, before painting the various details, carrying out final assembly of the cockpit, and joining the fuselage halves.

The pics below show the stages described above, and I hope to be back soon with another up-date and progress pics.

Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 017.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 018.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 019.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 020.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 016.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 021.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 022.JPG

Thanks Andy, and thanks for trying.
Unless Dougie Barr comes up with any info, I'll just go with a 'representative' serial number and code letter.
By the time the NF.XII reached the Squadron, the aircraft would have been 'getting on a bit', and I would think had been replaced, in those squadrons which had used them, with later models, such as the NF.30, so choosing a representative serial number which is known to have survived seems reasonable.
I've also re-checked my references, and it seems the Squadron received "... some Mosquitoes". This seems to me that, perhaps, they did not have a full squadron strength, possibly operating the Mossies alongside the Beaufighters ?
As for the colour scheme, I'm going to 'stick my neck out', and use the 'Intruder' scheme, based on photos of other Mosquito units in the Med operating in this role. So the model will be in the Medium Sea Grey with Dark Green disruptive pattern, with the undersides over-sprayed in 'Night', and have a Dull Red individual code letter only, with either 'Night' or Dull Red serial number (to be confirmed) - and it'll look rather worn and dirty !

Terry, I searched the databases I have on file and have come up with the following list of probable s/n from which a representative aircraft could be chosen. The list results from accepting Mosquitoes with the serial number ranges identified as NF XIIs that were lost or SOC after December 1944 and excludes those lost or SOC before July 1944. Unfortunately, the list still quite large:

Capture.JPG

The following list represents additional Mossies that had accidents before July 1944 and for which I do not have SOC data, so in theory they could have been repaired and return to service. I have NOT checked this with the production database that Geo posted so in theory some of these could also be eliminated.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks very much chaps, and thanks very much indeed Andy !
I'd made a half-hearted start on breaking-down the serial numbers, and your lists have saved me a lot of time.
I'm liking the look of HK167, which could, by stretching the imagination, possibly be the 'mystery' serial number quoted in the "Squadrons of the Royal Air Force ... " book, where it's shown as HJ671, which is either a typo, or has been accidentally included where the reference information has been mixed up somewhere along the line.
As information and photos seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo, I could probably paint the model in Shocking Pink, with Lurid Lime stripes, and no one would be any the wiser !

Anyway, some more progress to show, with most of the cockpit fittings built, added and painted, although, having 'messed around' with the seat harnesses, I will definitely be re-painting these !
The 'fuel management' console has a decal to add, although I have severe doubts that it'll settle into the fairly deeply recessed dials, and the main instrument panel decal is a single piece, which I reckon has no chance of working, so I'll separate the relevant sections / instruments, and apply them individually, before painting the rest of the details.
If the kit decals fail, then I have some instrument decals from Airscale, which should do the job.
Once the instruments are sorted, the few remaining details, such as the flare cartridges and fire extinguisher, along with some switches etc, will be painted, and the main instrument panel, front bulkhead, floor and control column and rudder pedals can be fitted, before turning attention to the radios and radar equipment.
I'll be using the kit parts for the T/R 1154 / 1155 radio gear, and I seem to have struck lucky regarding the radar equipment.
As the kit has options for a FB.VI (even though the wing is incorrect for this) and a NF.II, the radar should be the A.I. Mk.IV, the type fitted to the NF.II.
However, Tamiya have provided what looks to be a fairly accurate rendition of the A.I. Mk.VIII indicator and control units, and this is exactly the type fitted to the NF. XII (and NF.XIII). So, with the addition of some wiring, and some careful painting, I should be able to portray the radar equipment accurately without having to modify anything. Just as well, as the kit canopy is very clear (if perhaps a touch low ?), and the interior should be easily 'viewable'.

The pics show the progress to date (including those ghastly seat harnesses !), and I hope to complete the remainder of the interior, and join the fuselage halves, some time tomorrow.
Thanks again for your interest, help, and positive comments, and I'll be back soon .....

Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 023.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 024.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 026.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 028.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back