<-- **** DONE: 1/48 Mosquito NF.XII - Twin Engined Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Robert - just a simple little job with a paint brush.

Got most of the decals on, with just the serial number on the starboard side, and the stencils still to do.
The decals used were from the kit (except the serial numbers and nose code letter), which conveniently included a letter 'S' to use as the individual code on each side, squadron codes not being used in this instance. The red in the national markings and code letters is not quite right for Dull Red, but good enough for the purposes of this model, and using the kit decals has saved me 'breaking in' to my decals stash !
The decals are typical Tamiya - relatively thick, and needing quite a lot of decal solution in some places, to help them 'bed down' and settle into surface detail, although surprisingly they conformed and settled around the fuselage reinforcing rib on the starboard side without a problem.
A little surface 'bloom' was experienced, under the 'S' on the port side, and under a couple of the serial number decals, where the clear coat turned slightly milky, presumably a reaction to the Micro Sol, but this now seems to be settling down and clearing. I was rather surprised that the large, red 'X' warning panels decals on the radiator covers settled without any 'bloom' or 'silvering', as clear decal areas of this size can be a problem some times. If the affected areas don't clear, then they'll be re-touched and then get another coat of clear gloss.
The serial numbers were made up from individual black letters and numbers from an Xtradecal 1/72nd scale sheet, using the '12 inch' characters, which equate to 8 inch in 1/48th scale, and the white letter 'S' on the nose came from the equivalent sheet in white.
These decal sheets were obtained in order to make 1/48th scale Werke Nummer, in a couple of sizes, for the Luftwaffe component of my eventual BoB 'Hardest Days' Collection, and are useful sheets to have, with all the various sized letters, numbers and titles, which can fill a gap for that 'odd' decal requirement, as well as the ability to make the Werke Nummer .

The pics show how the model looks so far, with some of the decals still settling, and a couple of shots of the Xtradecal Black letters / numbers sheet mentioned above.

Once all the decals have been applied, and thoroughly set, any residue will be cleaned off, before sealing the decals with a clear gloss coat which, once fully hardened, will be followed by some further weathering and then a matt clear coat.
Thanks again for all your kind comments and interest, and I should have more to show some time tomorrow.

Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 183.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 188.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 184.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 187.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 180.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 181.JPG

Yeah, not sure how far outside of our country they are known but it was the first thing that popped into my head.

Thanks Glenn. I'll be using MM paints as frequently as possible, although I can only get them 'on line'. For 'emergency' use, I'll still have to stick to Humbrol, as it's available at my LHS.
I was going to spray the clear matt coat tonight, but, having been busy all day, I couldn't get to the LHS to get some more Tamiya Flat Base, to mix with the Humbrol Gloss Clear to make the matt coat - first job tomorrow is a visit there !
I still haven't found a reliable, ready to use, easily available acrylic matt varnish, so have gone back to mixing my own. Matt enamel varnish is a 'no go', due to 'yellowing' with age.
All being well, I'll get the matt clear coat sprayed some time tomorrow, and can then proceed with the final parts of the build.

I thought I recognised the big bloke !
The other guy looks rather like a German feller called Ingo, who used to ply the piano accordion at a Beer Keller in my home town, in the early 1970's, and is, apparently, still doing the rounds, on cruises and various holiday destinations.

It's been a while getting back to this one, mainly as I had intended to get all of the Mosquito models to the same stage, so that they could all be sprayed with a matt clear coat at the same time.
But, as you probably all know by now, problems with the other models, mainly to do with paint or matt clear coats, has delayed things considerably. However, the matt clear has now been applied, in two, thin coats, and I'm pleased to announce that the problems seen on the FB.VI model have not been repeated here. The finish isn't quite as matt as I would like it, but it's good enough.
With a bit of luck, I'll get the already assembled undercart and props on tonight, and hopefully the azimuth antennae and other small bits and pieces, and make the deadline.
Here's how it looks after spraying the clear matt - sorry about the quality of the pic, it was taken in fading light, near a south-facing window.

Bob's Mosquito Build 291.JPG

Thanks Robert.
Bouncing back and forth between this and the FB.VI, hoping to get them both finished by the deadline, and might just make it, with at least one of them !

Thanks Hugh.

Well, it won't make the deadline.
I've spent a lot of time at the bench today, working mainly on the FB.VI, and it's starting to tell, as I'm now feeling stiff and tired.
Although there are only a few things to do to finish the construction, and then do the detail painting and the final 'fiddly bits', I've decided to call a halt for tonight, rather than mess it up at the last minute. I'll very possibly get it finished tomorrow, so maybe it'll just squeeze in, if there are no objections.
The clear matt coat has settled nicely, and the masking has been removed from the canopy., which has yet to be cleaned of adhesive residue. Slightly puzzling is some clouding on the gun sight reflector screen, which looks like the effects of CA, but it wasn't there before I fitted and sealed the canopy !
Here's how it looks to date.

Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 196.JPG
Mossie NFXII 46 Sqn 48 Scale 197.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back