**** DONE: 1/48 P-61A – Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice Peter. :) I actually found a picture of that wheel hub painting in my book, just didn't know it belonged to this aircraft and of course a closeup of the pilot as he poses next to this picture. A question for you. Will you add the seat release rod and cross piece to the back of the pilot's seat? There is also a knob that is used to lock the gunners chair in position. :)

Very nice Peter. :) I actually found a picture of that wheel hub painting in my book, just didn't know it belonged to this aircraft and of course a closeup of the pilot as he poses next to this picture. A question for you. Will you add the seat release rod and cross piece to the back of the pilot's seat? There is also a knob that is used to lock the gunners chair in position. :)

Hi and thanks. Yes the decals include the nose wheel cover art work, which is great. Here's a close up of the wheel and the Vargus artwork that inspired the painter (it was done in mirror image for some reason). Presently I'm thinking that I will just build it more or less how it came - but that is difficult, there are bits and pieces that do shout for more detail. 8)

Cheers

Peter

Attachments

• Borrowed Time Front Wheel 800.jpg
    Borrowed Time Front Wheel 800.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 92
  • VARGAS04.JPG
    VARGAS04.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 117
Thanks guys

Small update today.

Pic 1
Looking at the wheels, they were not too bad, but I decided to 'lash out' and get the Eduard Brassin set to replace the stock parts. Apart from the better mouldings, the front wheel also has the hubcaps, which are not present from Great Wall, and I'll need them for the decal. Masks too, this will save me a bit of time! 8)

Pic 2
The rear crew entry door completed with etch ladder.

Pic 3
The front crew entry ladder had a few issues in that it looks like a 'short shot' in the injection moulding process has left some gaps in the ladder. I think the best thing would be to leave them on the sprue and splice in some stretched sprue to complete, before removing them. They are very finely moulded though, so lets hope that works and they stay together.:rolleyes:

Cheers for now.

Peter

Attachments

• masks and resin wheels 800.jpg
    masks and resin wheels 800.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 87
  • crew ladder 002 - resized.jpg
    crew ladder 002 - resized.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 74
  • crew ladder 003 - resized.jpg
    crew ladder 003 - resized.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 81
from page 3 and asked that same questions back in the 1980's when I interviewed at some length 4 members of the US 425th nfs including their CO who lived in my state. will try to respond to two thoughts.

first the nose in different colours this was not up to the crew or ground techs this was experimentation to find out which colour or yet template of either gloss/flat to work with the US AI radar to prohibit interference in the air and low ground probs as in the ETO when the units flew on night intrusion they often flew at very low altitudes.

second the gunners position is mis-labled it is the radar operators position directly behind the pilot who was his own gunner for ETO driven P-61A's and B's.

third and many disagree with me but I asked so hear goes, the upper .50's turret was removed....why ? they all said it was not needed 4 20mm cannon were enough -- true and the vibration caused mis fires and non-stability within the a/c at firing altitudes.

fourth the 425th nfs used rockets via it's P-70's short term the wide use of napalm on ground attack sorties during 1945.

Last edited:
...second the gunners position is mis-labled it is the radar operators position directly behind the pilot who was his own gunner for ETO driven P-61A's and B's.

Eric, if I understand you correctly, this was all ETO aircraft only? Not just this particular squadron? I ask only because I've read in a couple of publications that the R/O station behind the pilot was a modification made at the unit level and there are a couple of accounts where a widow was shot up and the R/O bailed but the pilot didn't know it because the R/O station was in the rear. Just trying to understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back