**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for poppin' in. I had to redo two(so far) as I wasn't happy with them. This is a test shot(for some reason I took a photo of the one that wasn't shaped yet), whiskers won't be glued on until it's ready for paint.

004.JPG

I don't have a side view of the aerial location so this is an estimate off of the decal instructions.

pby.JPG

If anyone has a side view, it would be greatly aprreciated.

Geo

I don't have a side view of the aerial location so this is an estimate off of the decal instructions.

View attachment 263046

If anyone has a side view, it would be greatly aprreciated.

Geo

I think you already have had the side view of the location of the antennas. Just enough to have a look at the picture of a Catalina you had posted above. Here you are an enlarged part of another image of Catalina with the antenna set. According to both of these shots your estimation of location for attaching points is wrong I'm afraid. It is clearly seen that the bigger antennas had their anchors attached to the fuselage at the level of the bottom adge of the window or a little bit up. Those small dipoles make a line a little bit below the bottom edge of the window. And their anchors are lined at the level of attaching points for the main wing struts. In other words all your attaching points for the antennas and anchors , except the top one for the bigger antenna, should be moved up. The bigger one and its anchors have to be moved forward , closer to the side edge of the window.

catalina anteny1.jpg

Last edited:
Great info gents and thanks. The difference between my photo, Wojteks photo and the instruction sheet show a slight variation in the attachment points but may be because of the window size. I will muddle on.

001.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
While you posted the diagram above I was editting your first scheme. Now it almost fits what I've seen in a couple of pictures of Catalina with these antennas.

pby_1.JPG

Adding one section at a time, gluing small sections at a time. The only way to get the center part to line up correctly was to cut off the rear attachment tabs. I haven't measured the whole wing but I read online that it was 26" long.

002.JPG

Geo

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The 5 piece wing is complete and now i can get near my desk again...

004.JPG

Won't be much too do once the halves are joined together. I kiboshed 5 small antenna as I wasn't happy with them.

Geo

Last edited:
The links are great Jan. I wish he had shown how he built the antennae. I have sent him an email so hopefully he can help.

Geo

Cross posted, awesome photos my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back