**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think he made it using pieces of sprue. But the main rods seem to be too thick and of an incorrect shape. The way I used for making these antannas for Dirkpit289's 1/72 scale Beaufighter seems to be better.

IMG_4111.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

IMG_4117.jpg

Have no real idea how but in those first sets of pics, the cross pieces appear to be solid copper wire much as you did earlier. I have a holder that clamps onto the work table that converts my Dremel into a drill press. That's the only way I could see drilling consistant vertical holes

Attachments

• Dremel.jpg
    Dremel.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 88
Geo, not sure what kinds of stores you have in the Great White North but I've found that Home Depot has Dremel "stuff" a lot cheaper than Hobby-type stores.
The Drill press is about $50 USD here in the states. It is not heavily built and is meant for light work and will "walk" unless clamped (I use C-clamps). I use it with router bits and the sanding wheels as well as drills. It's that third-hand when doing fine work

Well what can I say when you live with white bears but it is nice that all directions are south, less confusing that way:D
Try Ebay, they can put it on the Iditerod

Thank you gentlemen. And now on to "Attempt #3". I am not happy with trying to get a consistent airfoil type shape out of square stock so while in camp I pondered further options(when is the finishing date again?). I came up with...drum roll please...♪♫♫♪♪♪...joining two pieces of plastic half round together which creates a better airfoilly shape than I could produce...

004.JPG

...you would not believe how long it took to take this photo as the camera would focus on everything but the piece. stupid camera

Geo

Nice! You can do the next one when the twitching rate reduces to 1 every 10 seconds.

Not sure what you're using fro a camera but fro my SLR, I often switch off the autofocus and use manual.

So Geo did you just cut one side and collapse? and I am tell'in ya brother the guitar wire would look so righteous ;)

Still toiling over the antennas? Could you tell me the dimensions of the antenna? I mean these of the main stick, dipoles and the distance between two dipoles.

So Geo did you just cut one side and collapse? and I am tell'in ya brother the guitar wire would look so righteous ;)

I used the Evergreen strips and just glued them together. If I ever get to P.G. again, I'll look up that wire.
006.JPG

Still toiling over the antennas? Could you tell me the dimensions of the antenna? I mean these of the main stick, dipoles and the distance between two dipoles.

Under control my friend. Including glue time, this took all of 10 minutes to do. The wires aren't cut to size yet. They will be added at the very end as they are quite bendy.
005.JPG

Nice! You can do the next one when the twitching rate reduces to 1 every 10 seconds.

Not sure what you're using fro a camera but fro my SLR, I often switch off the autofocus and use manual.

I just use my small Canon point and shoot for taking these photos. I'll check into the manual settings for my next photos. Thanks and thanks for popping in Wayne.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back