**** DONE: 1/48 PBY-5A - Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice cockpit George.

You say it's going to be a hanger and talking of lovely MGs, have you thought about the 'step gun', I think that was what it was called. Went behind the step in the tail boom further back than the other guns in the blister windows and pointed down through the hull bottom.

Thanks Vic and Andy. No tunnel gun in this beastie Vic. Gluing the fuselage starts. One needs to be an octopus to get everything lined up so it will be glued in tiny stages with tape holding the unglued areas. Once one area is set, I'll move to another, making sure everything lines up before I add more glue.

002.JPG

Geo

Thanks kindly. The top section is almost done and I'm painting the engines. Not much detail there but a black wash should pop it out a bit. Should have a photo later. The bottom of the fuselage might be a bit of a bear as it seems that one side is a bit deeper than the other. Trial fitting shows that brute force should solve it along with some filler. The wing and wheel well insert will need some sanding to ensure a smooth fit. I'm going to paint the wings and fuselage separate with the gluing surfaces masked.

Geo

With all the rest, Geo, coming along nicely. When I do a big glue job like that I use a slow-cure cyano and clamp as I go. Ordinary spring-loaded clothes-pins/rubber bands/and those great Berna assembler clamps work great

Thanks guys. I think that's the way I'm going to do the bottom Mr. Wint. Gator Glue does give some work time and then when I'm happy, I'll hit it with accelerator. I thought I had one engine complete but due to the miracle of photography I can see it isn't quite. The wash does help but soon you won't see it unless your 7ft. tall.

002.JPG

Geo

Thank you. Here's where we are so far in the gluing...

008.JPG
009.JPG

...I'm really hoping it looks worse than it is. With all the tape off, I have had the two joins line up, so this might take some time.

Geo

The fitting doesn't look good. But I hope you get it fixed. :thumbleft:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back