**** DONE: 1/48 Republic F-84E Thunderjet – The Jet Age.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

P7291430.JPG
Thanks Guys

The major painting has been compleated

Last edited:
P8041431.JPG
The more I looked at the photo of the actual aircraft in post #1 the less satisfied I was with the tail stripes on the Superscale decal sheet (post #15). The white stripes are larger than the blue stripes but there is too much difference in size on the decal sheet, the blue looking too narrow and the white too wide. I printed out a copy of the pic in post #1 sizing it so the tail was the same size as the model and sure enough, the blue stripes were too narrow. I striped off the Future I had applied on the tail for the decals and started masking the stripes using a micrometer to get the width right. Here's what it looked like after about three hours of one of the most challenging masking job I have ever done.

Last edited:
I agree completely. I'd invest an extra 10 minutes to be sure the tape edges are well burnished to avoid any heartache after the reveal.

P8051432.JPG
I agree completely. I'd invest an extra 10 minutes to be sure the tape edges are well burnished to avoid any heartache after the reveal.
That I did Andy, especially after seeing a few spots in that last picture that needed it.
The paint has been sprayed and the masks removed. Needs a bit of touch-up here and there but I'm very pleased with the result.

Last edited:
Paint is always better than decals when it can be done so the extra time is worth the result. The stripes look killer!

Thanks guys.
I've done the touch ups and have been brushing coats of Future on the non-matalic areas in preparation for the decals and panel line wash. 4 coats already and I'm hopeing that will be good enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back