**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H “Booby Trap” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I love that color on the fuselage :D, engines looking good to :)

I screwed up my courage and put the Booby Trap decals on and none of my fears were justified, everything went fine. I took Vic's advise from way back in this thread and laid a decal printed on clear film over the decal printed on white film, and he was absolutely right, the color depth was much better. It also solved a problem I knew from experience I would have, a white outline on the white backed decal. No mater how close you trim the decal this happens because the ink at the edge of the cut comes off exposing the white film. What I did this time is cut the white backed decal slightly inside the picture trimming it slightly smaller. (picture 1). This way the decal on clear film covers that white edge(picture 2). It worked even better than I thought it would and as Vic said they would be, the colors were much deeper.

P8170234.JPG
P8170235.JPG
BOOBYTRAP-V1-2 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Another Graphic Arts trick would be to make a slight 45 degree Undercut to the inside instead of straight up, if you get my drift. It only has to be as thick as the paper under. Just kinda cutting away the white.

It's a verry sweet job you've done mate.

Thanks guys and thanks for the tip Bill. I'm surprised it turned out as well as it did. I've never attempted something like this before and my previously tries with making decals have never been completely satisfying.
Here's just a quick update. All the other decals other than the serial numbers (which I'm awaiting delivery) are done and another coat of Future applied to seal them.

P8170237.JPG

Last edited:
Question, Glenn,

Would those same upper and lower colors be the same used on my Havoc?
I have found a directive of 1943 that requires a cammo pattern on OD uppers. But only requires that a motteled leading and trailing edge of green should be added.

And if you would, which colors did you use for U/L ?

Terry beat me to it. I did the medium green on the leading and trailing wing edges of my previous B-24 but it was a "D" model so was build earlier. There are many ways you can go with olive drab still staying with the MM enamels. The last few AAF camo builds I've done I've used #1711 Olive Drab which looks like factory fresh OD. This time for a change I used #2050 ANA 613 Olive Drab which has a slightly lighter dustier look. They also have #2051 Faded Olive Drab which is even lighter. On my previous B-24 I did a trainer that had spent a few years in the New Mexico desert so I hand mixed the paint using white and yellow to give a very weathered, faded look.

Thanks for that. I been going nuts trying to sort out the O.D.'s. Some look so green, yes, Olive, I know. I'll look for the MM colors. Gotta get going on the Blenheim to the point of painting at least.

Oh, and the underside gray?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back