**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H “Booby Trap” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

With GB 17 finished I've cleaned off my work bench, put down new newspaper and started work on Booby Trap.

Even though this kit is supposed to be of a B-24H the waist windows are all wrong. The kits windows are the open type with the closeable hatch while the B-24H, the ones from the same production block anyway, had a close type waist window. It is not quite the type seen in some of the Liberators in museums today, but has the gun port below the plexiglass, not in it.
Pic 1 2 B-24's from the same BG showing the windows
Pic 3 The kit window
Pic 4 After I modified it by enlarging it a little and adding a strip of plastic at the bottom. I've also filled in the panel lined depicting the wind deflector and added panel lined in this ares. I still have to add the gun port yet
Pic 5 6 Also glued the nose sections on and assembled the bombs (except one, half of which went MIA)

Can Jan 728.jpg
MADAMESHOO-SHOO5.JPG
P6039944.JPG
P6039945.JPG
P6039946.JPG
P6039947.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Glenn. Don't know if you've seen it, but there are two posts, one in the 'Technical' section, the other I think in 'Aircraft Photos' with a complete spread of detail shots of the inside of the Collins B-24 - could be useful if you're adding some detail.
And I've got some detail shots of the Duxford example, showing wheel wells, gear legs, exhausts and engines, turrets etc, if you need them.

Nice start Glenn. Question: On the top two pics is that another smaller window a little further forward!

Terry, I've seen those threads and they were were helpful. I also have a book at home full of color interior shots of "Delectable Dorris" which I think might be "Witchcraft" before the repaint. Vic, that is a window, in the vicinity of the ball turret.

There bomb bay rear bulkhead is all wrong in the kit. It is molded as a straight bulkhead when it should be molded as two half bulkheads, top and bottom, separated by several feet with a floor between them forming what was the radio operator compartment above the rear half of the rear bomb bay. Farther forward the wing structure took up the upper portion of the bomb bays.(The forward bomb rack is in the wrong place in the first pic, it should be farther forward)
I cut the bulkhead in half and added the floor and wing structure with drilled bolt detail. Also added floor corrugation and rib detail made from thin strips if masking tape which should stand out well after painting and a dark wash. I'm going to use a darker green for the interior as shown in the interior pics of "Witchcraft" as mentioned bt Terry above.

P6040032.JPG
P6030029.JPG
P6040030.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back