**** DONE: 1/72 B-24H “Booby Trap” - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I haven't even looked at the bomb-bays of my D and J but I'm pretty sure they are going to be closed.

Geo
Here's the unmodified bomb bay of the Academy B-24D I built years ago. with the full bomb load not much of the interior is visible.

P6110090.JPG

Last edited:
I added a few control boxes to the cockpit walls and sprayed the interior color. No ribs visible in the cockpit because of a canvas covering according to the pictures in the pilots manual.

P6120091.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Paul.
Last night I found out that the vac canopy set I have has the glassing for the Consolidated nose turret and Booby Trap had the Emerson turret. It seems that Falcon, the originator of the Squadron canopies never made one for the Emerson turret due to the hight of the glassing being too great for vacuforming (that's what they said anyway). Really disappoints me as the kit transparencies for the turret are rather thick and fake looking.

Last edited:
Good work on the bay Glenn. I can never remember which turret is which - is the Emerson the tall, 'tubular' turret, rather than the angular type also fitted to the tail?
If so, you could maybe mould one, or the glazing at least.

Terry, the Emerson is the taller, more cylindrical turret. Below is the only pic I found of Booby Trap's nose and unfortunately the turret is covered, but it does seem to have the shape of the Emerson. Below that pic are examples of both types of turrets, the Emerson A-15 on the left and the Consolidated A-6 on the right. I have so much info on the different B-24 turrets that I should start a thread on it?

I'm considering trying to make one. I know Squadron use to carry the clear plastics sheet for plunge forming, but I couldn't find it when I looked last night. Maybe I was using the wrong search words. Does anyone know what they call it

fuedingwagon.jpg
DSC00193web.jpg
827th#77%2049th%20bomb%20wing.JPG

Last edited:
If you can't find any Glenn, try Hannant's or, if really stuck, let me know and I'll send you a couple of sheets. I have some in stock, and my LHS stocks it too, and it's only 1/4 mile away!
That covered turret might be a Consolidated type - look how the canvas cover appears to slightly bulge outwards, at the lower front, and the crease or fold on the lower side, which could be where the cover is stretched over the angled metal area, with the frozen snow following the lines of the frame.
Perhaps check some photos of other aircraft from the unit, if possible, and see what turrets are fitted?

Hi Glenn:

I read your story about your father being based at Eye, Suffolk England for a time before being moved to the 15th AF with great interest. It just might be possible that he knew one of the ground crew chiefs by the name of Tom Veale, who was my wife's uncle. He was a B-24 waist gunner before the 8th found out he had flat feet and grounded him. Tom Veale passed away in 2003, and he told me a couple of stories about being based at Eye.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back