**** DONE: 1/72 Blenheim Mk.IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Great work Bill, especially considering the one armed assembly! And cheers mate - will gladly take you up on that offer!

Terry, yep today I saw it on my phone. Will open and download ASAP/

Evan, you are on old man!

Wurger, Geo, the offending limb is doing okay, stitches come out tomorrow.

Trying to get a handle on the floor of this thing. I was gonna open the bomb doors, but the kit floor is too low. No room for a spanner even. So gotta find how the floor jumps up behind the pilot seat. I'maworkin on it.

Thanks again Bill, appreciate it mate!

Brave man for tackling the bomb bay too. This isn't much, but all I've got on this area (from same cutaway):

STA52989.JPG

I have both of those for reference, and it looks like there was only floor under the seat and under the feet of the navigator. Then a wall behind the pilot and a raised floor which would be the roof of the bomb bay. I think until I find otherwise is the way I will go on this. I've got a couple of front on views that shows the support tubes for the nav table and instrument panel on the nose end.

Been finishing the naceles and cowlings this morning, at least as much as me old limb will allow.

The bomb load picture is a mod for the qty of bombs in the hold. I have found normal interior loads were 2x500 pounders, or 4x250 pounders or 3x300 pound depth charge and a bunch under wing. So to squeeze all them things in, the doors needed to be removed.

I've got a couple 500 pounders, but they are box fin, would they be US bombs? Or would I be okay to use them? Don't know what a 1/72 80 or 160 pounder would look like or where to find some.

I sailor on, perhaps pics tomorrow.

Good call on that interior fitout info Bill - tend to agree with you and will do same with mine eventually.

As for the 500 lbers, box fin defo sounds US. Will check my spares for some British bombs for ya.

have a few British bombs but are all 1/48, though am wondering would they do as larger bombs in 1/72 as the look pretty small for 1/48 scale.

will post a pic with scale tomorrow for you Bill and if suitable you can have them

just checked and i have at least 4 x 1/48 250lb bombs, how would they scale as 1/72 500lb bombs ?

Last edited:
Damn Bill, and there I was standing not 3 feet away from a Bollingbroke (Canadian built version of Blenheim) restoration on Saturday and I could have easily taken those pics you need. Kicking self......I did get some of the landing gear though and will post when I get them off the camera. If I make it to Nanton this coming Saturday I can definitely get some for you as they have a fully restored one there.

Last edited:
Was there much of a difference between the versions Andy? I recall reading in a British model magazine years ago that there was a slight variation in the cockpit but I can't remember what it was.

Geo

According to Squadron/ Signal's 'Bristol Blenheim in Action': 'The Bolingbroke was externally identical to the Bristol produced Blenheim Mk.IV, however, American instruments and other equipment replaced standard British equipment on a number of production aircraft' (quote)

Bollingbrokes were mainly used for coastal patrols so I suspect there would have been some equipment variations.

Very possibly Andy... Squadron add that:

'Operational use of the Bolingbroke was limited to the Royal Canadian Air Force in Canada and the Aleutian islands. No. 8 (Bomber Reconnaissance) Squadron was the first RCAF unit to convert to the Bolingbroke, followed by one other squadron. Bolingbrokes were used primarily to fly anti-submarine coastal patrols over both the Atlantic and Pacific'

but also that:

'the majority of Bolingbrokes produced never saw combat, instead they performed as crew and operational trainers under the Commonwealth Air Training Plan, training crews for overseas units. Still others were converted to unarmed target tugs with high visibility paint schemes for training air gunners and army anti-aircraft gunners'

Good stuff Bill. And yes, the bombs you have are American - sometimes used in late war by Lancasters, as 'extra' stock. But the Blenheim used the earlier British bombs, different in shape to those from late 1942 onwards, although they did have the cylindrical fairing around the elongated fins.
I think I have some 1/72nd scale 500 pounders, but they are the later type. I'll have a look in the spares boxes, as I might have some from an old Stirling kit, which were the correct type, as shown below.
Note that early bombs were originally painted pale yellow - until it was realised that bomb dumps stood out from the air in recce photos, when the colour was changed to dark green!
I've been wanting a 1/48th scale Blenheim, Mk1 or MkIV, but the Classic Airframes kits are going for silly prices on the 'bay' - the last one I 'watched' went for over £90 - plus shipping!!

Attachments

• Bomb pic.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back