**** DONE: 1/72 Blenheim Mk.IV - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting info Terry! :)

Squadron puts the bombload at 1000 lb - I have 4 x 250 lbers (ex Revell Hurricane Mk.IIB and C), and atleast 1 x 500 lber if you need them Bill.

Don't know if this helps but I had it in my "Blenheim" file

Attachments

• Bristol Blenheim Cockpit 800.jpg
    Bristol Blenheim Cockpit 800.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 97
Wow , what a flurry of information, and all so good. You are all saints.

Karl, not too sure about the shape of the bombs 500/250 and if they would work from scale to scale.

Andy, it's always the way isn't it. It's gonna be a while before I can get to the pilots seat area, so when you do go if you could get (1) detail picture from the starboard side showing the seat and floor and stick and sidewall. (2) from above the seat and behind, showing the front edge of the seat, floor, peddles and panel. (3) from port side and oust side the starboard sidewall across from pilot seat. (4) the floor around the nav table, its supports and his seat. (5) the nav table both ends. Am I asking too much??????

Terry, once again, I would never have known the color, and would probably have gotten it the wrong way round. I've gone thru the literature you sent. Have got it all mapped out. If Andy can get the shots, the cockpit should be dyno-mite!

Evan, you are spot on for the Bolinbroke and is what I have found as well. I would love to get them 250 pounders!!!! The postal service is gonna wonder about all the itty bitty things coming my way.

Glenn, I do have that one, and it was my first clue there was No bulkhead behind the pilot. The box under the jump seat is the bomb bay I am guessing, at least that is the way I am building it.

Here's what the litt Terry sent me for accurate changes to the kit, cutting and panel line changes, and my engine cover mods.

Attachments

• GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4a.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4a.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 71
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4b.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4b.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 75
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4c.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4c.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 69
  • GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4d.jpg
    GB18 Dvdsn Blenhm 4d.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 69
You're in for some there fun Bill!

The bombs are yours too mate, and you have a choice: Revell 250 lbers with typical coned nose shape or Airfix ones with the protruding fuse cap as per Terry's photo.

That's gonna keep you busy Bill. Regarding the photos, I should be able to get what you need, just a question of when. Meantime, here are the pics I took of the partially restored Bollingbroke on Saturday:

IMG_5778.JPG

IMG_5779.JPG

IMG_5780.JPG

IMG_5781.JPG

Karl, not too sure about the shape of the bombs 500/250 and if they would work from scale to scale.

you are correct Bill, the 250 lb bombs are much more tapered at the tail than the 500 lb bombs and i dont think they would be the right size anyway !

i found i had 1/72 scale 2 x 250 lb and 2 x 500 lb bombs if you want them, i know Evan has sorted you some as well but i have no need for them !

Good man Karl! Drop them over to him then, and I'll send 2 x 250s instead of 4. Being a 1:72 man, I'm sure I can find a use for mine in the future! :)

(clashed with Geo!)

Good stuff guys.
The 'bulkhead' immediately behind the cockpit is the main spar, with the open area above being the space between the top of the fuselage and the 'roof' of the bomb bay, which was set between the main spar and the rear spar. I've been looking for a set of interior photos I gathered when I was doing a painting of a Blenheim for a commission, but I'm b*gg*red if I can find the blighters!

Karl, Evan that would be great, I'll havem commin from all directions. But they will go well in the bay! Which do you have Karl, pointed, or fused 250 pounders?

Geo, the primer color as far as I know is gray green, so that may be a little dark, maybe?

Andy, amazing shots, haven't seen any better of the gear! What do you use for a camera? Model and lens??? very sharp and clear.

Paul, I must confess, I do let my hand out for building, but take it ever so easy.

Terry, so two spars, the bay takes up the space between the two. Makes sense.

Got something to do today then...... LOL.

Karl them part no. 46 would be the ones.

David, the nose reminds me of a pelikan!

Andy that appears to be a quality lens. I have an EOS, one of the older ones but I have the long zoom.

Today I've done the trim tabs on the elevators and cut out the ailerons and matched the second side. Did the nacelle reshaping of the other wing as well. The shaping broke thru the wing plastic so I had to add a piece of thin styrene sheet to the backside and will finish sanding and a bit of filling when it sets.

Thinking of thinning the fusey halves a to add ribbing on the inside. Will compare the landing gear parts with the pics above Andy posted, see if there is some correcting to do there. Gord Airfix kits!!!!

Good stuff Bill.

I'll send 2 of the same 250s as Karl's then Bill. (also ex Revell Hurricane eh Karl? :) )

(Edit: need to watch my wording more... both types have fuse caps, but the Revell bombs are 1.5 mm shorter than the Airfix ones, with more pronounced curves and more pointed nose. The Revell's are the better lookers!)

Last edited:
Good stuff Bill.

I'll send 2 of the same 250s as Karl's then Bill. (also ex Revell Hurricane eh Karl? :) )

(Edit: need to watch my wording more... both types have fuse caps, but the Revell bombs are 1.5 mm shorter than the Airfix ones, with more pronounced curves and more pointed nose. The Revell's are the better lookers!)
Yep Revell Hurricane IIB kit, first build upon returning to modelling !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back