**** DONE: 1/72 BV222 Wiking Seaplanes / Floatplanes of WW II (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nice work on the panel lines Wayne and never thought of gluing a strip to help with the gap.Geo

Thanks guys, while it was a good idea at the time George, I have since removed it and cut open the join line again as the engine section was not going to fit as well as I thought it would, will explain later....

cheers Bill...

Ok I removed the small reinforcing support piece and cut open the front face of the wing again...so it spread apart...again, the reason i did this was once i dry fitted the engine section I was left with some gaps under them that would be a pain to align or fix, once the main wing was "sprung" outward again the fit was much better.
You will see what I mean from the following pics as to the gaps...

Attachments

• 20_Engine Fit-Gap_3590.jpg
    20_Engine Fit-Gap_3590.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 21_Engine fit-Gap_3594.jpg
    21_Engine fit-Gap_3594.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
I would have used putty to fill. I tried the putty/nail polish remover/Q-tip method for the first time and it worked beautifully. I'm sold

Holy guacamole Wayne my boy that is one big mother, you booked your room down at the local panel beaters for a spray job yet!

Nice star mate.

It sure is a big mother Vic....and will need some serious painting time on her too...

Ok missed yesterday here are those "No gaps" nacelles all fixed up....wing is pretty much done, only a few touchups required...

Attachments

• 22_Engine Nacelle fit_3707.jpg
    22_Engine Nacelle fit_3707.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 23_Engine Nacelle fit_3708.jpg
    23_Engine Nacelle fit_3708.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 24_Wing Assy_3716.jpg
    24_Wing Assy_3716.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 25_Wing Assy_3714.jpg
    25_Wing Assy_3714.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 84
It sure is a big mother Vic....and will need some serious painting time on her too...

Ok missed yesterday here are those "No gaps" nacelles all fixed up....wing is pretty much done, only a few touchups required...

Geeus!! that is big.:shock:

Oh yea. Nice work on the gaps.

Well it's not really gap filling guys, when I first glued the wings and did the fit I got the gap, The wing must have flattened the curvature of the wing slightly to create the gap, when I recut the glue join open along the front edge I must have 'sprung' the curvature back as the gap reduced somewhat. So i then glued the bottom square sections of the nacelles to the wing first and then did the top....no filling required at all....

Today I started prepping the engine components and discovered all the front cowl sections all had a thin piece missing, broken off each one, a quick search in the box revealed only 2 pieces, so it looks like i will have to make up the rest to attach the cowling panels to...

Attachments

• 26_Engine components_3719.jpg
    26_Engine components_3719.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 85
  • 27_Cowling Panels_3721.jpg
    27_Cowling Panels_3721.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 28_Front Cowling_3723.jpg
    28_Front Cowling_3723.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 84
  • 29_Engine instruction_3725.jpg
    29_Engine instruction_3725.jpg