**** DONE: 1/72 Fairey Firefly AS5 - Your Favourite Aircraft of All Time GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good work Michael. Here are some detail shots of the CWH's Firefly for what they're worth. Sorry, I dind't crawl under the wheel wells this time.

Attachments

• Firefly 4.jpg
    Firefly 4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 262
  • Firefly 6.jpg
    Firefly 6.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 265
  • Firefly 8.jpg
    Firefly 8.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 305
  • Firefly 9.jpg
    Firefly 9.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 260
  • Firefly 12.jpg
    Firefly 12.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 284
It needed a bit of tidying up to get rid of some of the unwanted blotches and the like. I spent quite a bit of time today adjusting that image , printing it off at various scales (onto lain paper) to get the fit right. I needed to legthen the stripes a little , but its pretty good now.

I made a bit of a start on the cockpit, but nothing major just yet. I have a pretty good idea on the cockpit detail, thanks to Vic and the Kit, but still some minor issues on finishes.

I had a bit of a minor hiccup. Maybe I should be more worried, but Im not. I cracked the bottom of the observers seat....its resin and I applied too much pressure whilst attempting to remove it from its mould base. Its repairable, but I havent done it just yet.

Photos maybe tomorrow or Monday guys

Thanks guys, the cockpit is coming together, but I am pacing myself this time. Going slowly, even getting the breathing right to try and stedy my hand as much as I can. The kit has lots of Resin parts that require patient sanding and then careful assembly. Some parts can be prepainted....a no no generally,but in this case not a bad idea (IMHO) because it avoid paint overuns. So far....not to bad....finges crossed.

I am going to attach the final form of the decal I made. Cleaned up as best I can. There will be a white decal sheet to go underneasth this one before I apply this decal, to get the right backround. I need to cut that "underlay precisely to avaid wiggly bands. I think I can do that...have a method worked out which I will reveal if it works.

Anyway here is the completed part....

Attachments

• Fuselage UN Stripes  reduced for forum.jpg
    Fuselage UN Stripes reduced for forum.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 254
Ive found some images of cockpit details which i think will form the basis of my effort. The images of the model which the same as mine, are from Britmodeller. I think the guy has done a very good job, but I do ahve a few criticisms that I will probably do differently. His cockpit is too green....it should be more a grey green. The harness and the seat leathers appear too dark IMO, and I dont think the floor plate arounf the stick is brown, more metal or grey.

The B&W images are period and are of a Mk I. I only have shading to go by, but they give good clues as to what should be silver, white/grey black and grey. The cockpit wals to me look like a greay green as per the kit instructions.

Anyone want to hazard a gues on what colours are in the B&W shots?

There are also two alternative observers fitouts, one optimised for ASW and the other as a Fighter bomber recon machine. Ill be honest and admit I dont know which was which, but then the rear electronics suite could be changed in about a day, and both altenatives were carried as crated "plug n play" suites for the aircraft. Fireflies were used as both ASW and FB aircraft in Korea. Intersting sidelight.....Fireflies could not carry enough sonabouys when on patrol to optimise efficiency so they would often get the ships Furies when operating in the CAP role to carry extra bouys for them

Anyway here are the images

Attachments

• Cockpit 8.jpg
    Cockpit 8.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 278
  • Cockpit 1.jpg
    Cockpit 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 438
  • Cockpit 2.jpg
    Cockpit 2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 257
  • Cockpit 3.jpg
    Cockpit 3.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 251
  • Cockpit 5.jpg
    Cockpit 5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 236
  • Cockpit 6.jpg
    Cockpit 6.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 277
  • Cockpit 7.jpg
    Cockpit 7.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 304
That kit cockpit appears to be in US Interior Green - definitely not the right colour!
Colour in the B&W pics seems to be grey, as per the colour shot, and this colour started to replace the grey green where black was not used.

The important thing is whether or not you are happy with the shade. Everything is objective, my friend. You are doing a fine job, IMHO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back