**** DONE: 1/72 Fairey Firefly AS5 - Your Favourite Aircraft of All Time GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those images of the cockpit have been photoshopped and recolored if I'm not mistaken. Don't know why someone would do that. Just my opinion and I could be wrong. Evangilder would be the one to ask.

That could be me. I found the images at my work on the net, cut and pasted the into a word doc, emailed them home. Transfered the individual images to Paint Shop pro, a kind of old guys photoshop, for resizing, and then finally to this website. The flourescence you see appeared after i passed the images through Paint shop pro. Thefre isnt a lot of difference in the colouration....it is bright green and the definately the wrong colour....its just my Paint Shop app seems to have posterized the image a bit.....

Here is the link to that guys thread if you want to have a look at his work directly

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17594

Last edited:
Even in the pics direct from the link, that green is far too green for a British aircraft (unless the original pics were taken under fluroescent lighting, which would give an overall green colour cast). The correct British Cockpit grey green looks more like a sage green, as used on all British aircraft until post war, when most were re-painted black. With aircraft such as the Firefly, in service until the 1950s, it might be that they were still in service when the colour was again changed to the grey shades, still in use today.

well here are the first images of my cockpit. Still unfinished, and I dont think my colour selection has quite nailed it, though I did follow the kit instructions. As far as build quality, well probably as good as I can realistically achieve with my skillset and experience, but im not entirely happy either. I think I will accept what ive done, but I still want to get better outcomes than I am getting. Maybe in a few builds time.....

Anyway here are the shot as completed so far

Attachments

• 000_0186[1].jpg
    000_0186[1].jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 000_0187[1].jpg
    000_0187[1].jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 000_0189[2].jpg
    000_0189[2].jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 000_0190[1].jpg
    000_0190[1].jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 000_0191[1].jpg
    000_0191[1].jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 000_0192[1].jpg
    000_0192[1].jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 90
  • Fury final 0165[1].jpg
    Fury final 0165[1].jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Nicely done Michael, and very good for 1/72nd scale.I agree with you, the colour isn't quite right, but good enough for what will be seen once closed up in the fuselage. If you want a reference for the Cockpit Green colour, then Humbrol 78 (enamel) is the correct tone, at full scale. To be more accurate, just add a small amount of white for scale effect to get it right - but even out of the tin works well.

Very good Michael.

By the way, these decals are yours if you want them. (Note that they are behind wax paper so they look a bit odd). If so, send me a PM with your mailing address.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 92
nice job Micheal,your getting better by the build,i use revell colour SM361 for my interiors,its the same colour as the old cockpit colour by goly designed to be the perfect match,Terry's colour will be the Humbrol alternative ,hope that helps,i'm learning myself slowly but its a lot easier building/restoring cars and not as hard on your eyes

Thankyou guys so much for the advice encouragement, and now offers of stuff to help. Its a privelege to know you guys.

Michael

Yes, they did turn out quite well. They are not PE....I just simplypainted them blue grey with silver buckles, to make them look like the old style heavy canvas belts that were sometimes used in the 40's

Im reasonably satisfied with the seat and the rear cabin electronics suite

Last edited:
Progress for tonite. I fitted the sides to the cockpitput together the big four blade props and started sanding back the cockpit outer shell to make it fit into the fuselage. I also thinned the walls of the fuselage. Its slowly getting to the size that I can glue the two halves together but its tricky. Theres not a lot of meat left on either the cocpit walls or the fuselage. I will finish this tomorrow

No photos tonite. Apologies for that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back