**** DONE: 1/72 Lancaster Mk.III - Heavy Hitters II GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

N4521U

Colonel
Nov 1, 2009
Miranda, NSW
It's time........ May Day!

User Name: N4521U
Name: Bill
Category: Advanced
Entry: Lancaster
Kit: 1/72 Haswgawa MkIII

Accessories: Eduard cockpit. Quickboost barrels and scoops for a little more clean detail. Scratch? Who knows, yet to be seen. One good thing........ no visible engines!!!!!!

This one is for Annie. Kevin C. Waight's parents were a neighbor of Annie's when she was small. His parents were the blocks stand-in "Grandparents" after Kevins death in this Lanc. They pretty much took in all the children in the neighborhood as their own grandchildren. Until their death Annie was pretty close to them and still thinks of them with grandparent memories.

PO*J was part of the same group as "S" for Sugar fame that completed 100 missions. The photo attached is of a later PO*J as it has the outline of yellow around the code, a later addition for night ops. EE143 was lost before this addition, after just 5 missions. I know this, yellow o'lines, only by way of Terry, thanks for that. EE143, PO*J's story below.

467 SQUADRON RAAF, WORLD WAR 2 FATALITIES
Date of Death: 10 May 1944
Source: AWM 64 (1/427) (1/432) AWM 237 (63) (64) W R Chorley : RAF Bomber Command Losses of the Second World War : Page 219, Volume 1944

Summary:
Lancaster, EE143, PO*J, 467 Sqn RAAF
Lancaster EE143 took off from RAF Waddington at 2208 hours on the night of 10/11th May 1944 to bomb Lille, France. Bomb load 1 x 4000lb and 16 x 500lb bombs. Nothing was heard from the aircraft after take off and it did not return to base. Seventeen aircraft from the Squadron took part in the raid and three of these including EE143 failed to return.

Crew:
RAAF 414797 PO Hislop, D Captain (Pilot)
RAAF 424239 Flt Sgt K C Waight, (Navigator)
RAAF 419298 FO Crout, H R (Bomb Aimer)
RAAF 25243 FO Tucker, J F (Wireless Operator Air Gunner)
RAF Sgt B S Longhurst, (Flight Engineer)
RAAF 427870 Flt Sgt B F Cody, (Air Gunner)
RAF Sgt G Bennett, (Air Gunner)

Post war it was established that the aircraft crashed at Lezennes, Ronchin, in the south east suburbs of Lille, France. All the crew were killed and six of the crew are interred in the Hellemmes-Lille Communal Cemetery. Hellemes-Lille is a town and commune to the east of Lille a major town in the north of France. Flt Sgt Cody is buried in the Annappes Churchyard, France. Annappes is a suburb of Villeneuve d'Asi8>8.q, a town 7kms east of Lille.1944.

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 1a.jpg
    18 Lanc 1a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 261
  • 18 Lanc 1b.jpg
    18 Lanc 1b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 262
  • 18 Lanc 1c.jpg
    18 Lanc 1c.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 251
Last edited by a moderator:
Looking forward to this one Bill. Just shout if you want help or info along the way. I've just remembered, I have some film footage, on DVD, of this Squadron, which shows some interesting and not often seen (in photos) details. I've also ordered the book 'Ton Up Lancasters', which should arrive in the next few days, and this aircraft, if it completed 100 Ops, will be in it. (I've seen the book before, but can't remember if it is in it!).

Terry, this one met it's end on it's fifth mission. It was S for Sugar that finished 100. However if you see the J without the yellow outlines it should be EE143..... I've not sen a photo of it anywhere.

Remains to be seen when I get to the clear stuff masking!!!!!!

It begins. Have the engine nacels together. Working on the shaping of the radiator intakes, cutting, drillin, and filin! About an hour for the two of these, a little fiddely but worth it at the finish end.

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 2a.jpg
    18 Lanc 2a.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 18 Lanc 2b.jpg
    18 Lanc 2b.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 226
Don't know what kind of Magic, but I will try and tidy things up a bit.
Just working on the landing gear to get into the swing of things.
Will finish off the wings first for some odd reason. But then there has never been a rhym or reason behind what I do first or last.

Thanks Geo.
I have one of "S" for Sugar here, so I do have location and style of marking on this one and is what I need to mark her. So I'm good for that part.

Attachments

• lancaster_S-Sugar.jpg
    lancaster_S-Sugar.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 192

Users who are viewing this thread

Back