**** DONE: 1/72 Lancaster Mk.III - Heavy Hitters II GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are your rudder pics Bill. The starboard vertical stabilizer seemed to be intact but the port one had the trim tab mass balanced broken off. Now, there are the larger mass balances for the rudder and then tiny ones for the trim tab. You said you were looking for the trim tab ones and I've provided a detail of the set up. Both the rudder and trim tab mass balances on this aircraft are on BOTH sides.

130511 Nanton Lanc Rudder01.jpg
130511 Nanton Lanc Rudder02.jpg
130511 Nanton Lanc Rudder03.jpg
View attachment 233201

Attachments

• 130511 Trim Tab detail.jpg
    130511 Trim Tab detail.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 224
Well how can I thank you for that?????
Look at them itty bitty things.
Exactly what I wanted to see.
You're a champion!

I guess them little nobby things work like the "shovels" on an aerobatic planes ailerons. Pitts use them as well as Christan Eagles for Power Steering.

You're welcome Bill. I'm not sure they worked to help the movement but suspect they are more to prevent flutter on the airstream. When I saw these I was surprised that your model is depicting these as they are indeed tiny. I thought maybe you meant the larger ones on the rudder further up.

Them itzy bitzy ones are oso tiney!

Back on to the Lanc. I did a little work on the pilots seat..... the kit piece is prettttty lame. Added head pad, cushions and arm rests.

The radio and nav table is a little peeked as well, so I am making this from scratch. The bomb aimers station will get the treatment too.

Attachments

• 18 Lanc 5a.jpg
    18 Lanc 5a.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 18 Lanc 5b.jpg
    18 Lanc 5b.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 232
Great work Bill! Wish I could scratchbuild components as nicely as you do!

Btw - where do you get your sheet styrene from? Can't get any here, need to find a supplier to improve my work.

Thanks........ I think I should have used a wire for the arm rest under frame!

The styrene is everywhere....... the LHS has most and the bigger shops have it all in stock. Rounds, rectangles, squares, shapes like angle and channel and sheet. The stuff I use and I think the most common is Evergreen...... the link,
Evergreen Scale Models
If you have trouble getting it I would be more than happy to forward some on to you....

Last edited:
Good stuff Bill. Just one point regarding the armoured head shield on the pilot's seat - it didn't have a head-rest pad. This was a painted circle of gas detecting paint, in a yellow colour, with a very slight green tinge. From memory, the armour plate was around 6mm, so quite thin in 1/72nd scale.
Evan, if you're stuck for plastic sheet, strip, rod etc, let me know. My LHS stocks it (as does Hannant's), and I can easily send some over in a card-backed envelope.

EDIT: Just adding a couple of shots taken at Duxford, which might help.

Attachments

• Duxford  May 2011 060.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 060.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 233
  • Duxford  May 2011 061.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 061.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Duxford  May 2011 062.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 062.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 218
  • Duxford  May 2011 058.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 058.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 211
  • Duxford  May 2011 059.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 059.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 205
  • Duxford  May 2011 053.jpg
    Duxford May 2011 053.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Yes David, rather like 'Litmus' paper, the yellow would turn either green or pink. I believe it was for the detection of Mustard/Chlorine gas, although I'm not 100% certain on this - Mustard, Chlorine and I think Phosgene were the main expected threats which, fortunately, were never used. I think I'm right in saying it was also intended to detect Carbon Monoxide, in case of exhaust ingress via the hot air system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back