**** DONE: 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3,the VVKJ - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

imalko

Chief Master Sergeant
Mar 2, 2009
Vojvodina, Serbia
Username: imalko
First name: Igor
Category: Category 2/Intermediate
Scale: 1:72
Manufacturer: Academy
Model Type: Messerschmitt Me-109E
Details: L-21 No 2521, 101. eskadrila, 31. Vazduhoplovna grupa, 6. Lovački puk at airfield Veliki Radinci II in summer 1940
Decals: aftermarket decals by Lift here! (Limited edition kit decals made in Serbia)

Here is my entry into this group build. I've decided to make this particular model because we had 70th anniversary of April War last month so I thought this would be nice way to mark the occasion. Quick translation of terms used above: eskadrila - squadron, vazduhoplovna grupa - air group, lovački puk - fighter wing or regiment (these are literal translations into western terminology, but of course numerical strength of these units was different/smaller then in the RAF or USAAF). Also VVKJ is abbreviation from "Vazduhoplovstvo Vojske Kraljevine Jugoslavije" which means Army Air Force of Kingdom of Yugoslavia. One more thing, in VVKJ service Messerchmitt's fighter was officially designated Me-109E-3 instead of common Luftwaffe designation Bf 109E. The letter "L" in aircraft designation (L-21 in this case) means lovac - fighter.

The kit is well known Academy kit in 1/72nd scale planned to be build OOB. The paint scheme for this aircraft is simple RLM70/65 so I hope it will go without major problems.

Attachments

• bf - 1_01.JPG
    bf - 1_01.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 466
  • bf - 1_02.JPG
    bf - 1_02.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 358
Last edited by a moderator:
Messerschmitt Me-109E in VVKJ Service

As a part of plans for overall modernization of Air Force on the eve of World War Two, Kingdom of Yugoslavia negotiated the purchase of Messerschmitt's fighters with German Reich. The agreement was reached for delivery of 100 fighter planes Bf 109E-3 to Yugoslavia. First five examples were delivered to VVKJ in August 1939, receiving official Yugoslav designation Me-109E. The entire order was never met however, and by April 1941 total 83 aircraft were delivered. These were allocated to 6. Lovački puk and 2. Lovački puk and in very small number to some training units. Aircraft of 6. Lovački puk operated from Zemun airport and when hostilities started also from auxiliary airfield Krušedol at Fruška gora. The base of 2. Lovački puk was on the airfield near Kragujevac. When Axis invasion of Yugoslavia began in April 1941 Yugoslav Me-109Es encountered in combat the Luftwaffe figters of the same type. In the clash of Messerschmitts over Yugoslavia our pilots managed to shot down (according to the most sources) at least 18 enemy aircraft. Fifteen Yugoslav Me-109s were lost and ten pilots killed in action.

I also found some info on particular aircraft which is the subject of this build. Me-109E-3 L-21 was delivered from Germany in October 1939. In November 1940 it was flown by flight sargent Dragan Đurić in 101. Eskadrila at Dragar airfield near Bitolj. By the beginning of 1941 L-21 was transferred to 103. Eskadrila. After a ferry flight from Veliki Radinci II to Krušedol airfield on April 2nd 1941 captain Miho Klavora had a landing accident with this aircraft. Three days later L-21 was handed over to the workshop of 6th Air Base at Zemun for necessary repairs.

Attachments

• bf - 1_04.jpg
    bf - 1_04.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 351
  • bf - 1_05.jpg
    bf - 1_05.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 367
  • bf - 1_06.jpg
    bf - 1_06.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 327
  • bf - 1_07.jpg
    bf - 1_07.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 335
  • bf - 1_03.JPG
    bf - 1_03.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 313
Okay, though this Group Build ended long ago I haven't abandoned this project. Been working on it time permitting on&off and here's what has been done so far...

Attachments

• 1_01.JPG
    1_01.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 1_02.JPG
    1_02.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 322

Users who are viewing this thread

Back