**** DONE: 1/72 Typhoon Mk.Ib – Defence of Britain/Atlantic.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'll go with the dull silver for the wheelwell covers. In this scale I don't plan on doing much extra for the wheelwells. Maybe just the small struts that are shown in George's picture. Speaking of that picture, the AEAF stripes look at bit odd, the black being more narrower than the white. Was this common? I'm pretty sure the painting diagram that came with my decals shows equal distance, 18" each if I remember right.

Last edited:
Yep... these B&W strips on the Typhoon undersides aren't the D-Day ones that were of the 18" each. The kind of ID markings for Typhoons appeared on the 5th. December 1942 because of confusing the Typhoon with the Fw-190A by own air defence. There were four black strips of 12" and three white ones of 18" on undersides applied.

Two examples found via the net....

A_Hawker_Typhoon_Mk_IB.jpg

A_Hawker_Typhoon_Mk_IB_.jpg

To be honest the earliest ID strips for Tiffies were yellow ones on the wing tops going from the leading edge to the trailing one of wings at the inner cannon level. But the kind of marking wasn't enough to identify the planes properly. So on the 19th November 1942 it was ordered to paint the Typhoon noses up to the wing leading edge with the white. Additionally there were introduced these four black strips on undersides. Because the white nose compromised the efectiveness of the camouflage it was removed quickly and the white colour was added to the black strips on undersides.

Typhoon_1.jpg

Typhoon_2.jpg

The pic source ... the net.

Good stuff so far Glenn, and yes, the wheel wells and insides of the gear doors were painted 'Aluminium', a matt silver colour.
Good pics there Andy, and you beat me to it. Interesting to see the Duxford cockpit in it's original location in one of the hangars, where it could be photographed easily, without the bl**dy reflections off all the lamps at it's present location !

Nonetheless, I'll post the pics I took there anyway for reference:

178 reduced.jpg
179 reduced.jpg
180 reduced.jpg
181 reduced.jpg
182 reduced.jpg

Ah ! I wish I'd known that !
During a previous visit, I spent ages, at all angles, trying to get reasonable shots. Even with a 'pola' filter, I still struggled.

PA021508.JPG
PA021509.JPG
PA021510.JPG
Using Andy's pictures I've finished the cockpit painting. I also added a few extras. Seat cushion, harness, throttle handle and canopy crank. Should be able to assemble it tomorrow and close up the fuselage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back