**** DONE: Bf109E-4 Jg2 white 9 Battle of Britain Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It's been quite a wile since I did any work on this one, been concentrating on my other 109 and the Spit. I did some airbrushing on the prop and landing gear parts today, and started the masking for the top-side camo colors. Progress should be quicker now that the other two builds are starting to wind down.

PA303541.JPG
PA313550.JPG

Last edited:
Nice stuff Glenn. I like those clamps you have; I picked up a 'Modeller's Tool Set' thing a few days ago, as it had some useful odds and ends in it, including just one of those clamps. Need to find a place to get some more, as they're quite useful.

Nice stuff Glenn. I like those clamps you have; I picked up a 'Modeller's Tool Set' thing a few days ago, as it had some useful odds and ends in it, including just one of those clamps. Need to find a place to get some more, as they're quite useful.
I get them over here in the cheep bin at the hardware store. A pack of 6 or 8 for a couple of dollars. Next time I see them I'll pick you up a couple of packs.

Thanks mate! I'll have a look around here first, although I've never seen them, apart from being advertised at stupid prices on some modelling web-sites !

I completed the basic camo tonight.

Picture 1: The RLM 02 sprayed on.
Picture 2: The masking for the RLM 71
Picture 3: RLM 71 sprayed
Picture 4: Masking removed

Now I have to start thinking about how I'm going to do that complicated mottling.

PB013557.JPG
PB033565.JPG
PB033566.JPG
PB033567.JPG

Last edited:
Looking really good Glenn. I see you've done a bit of practicing on the newspaper. I have a way to go before perfecting mottles but the key is very thin paint at very low pressure applied with very flow. I assume you have a double action brush.

Th eschem you chose seems to have very fine mottles, as did my subject Black 8. I made the mistake of making mine too big I think. I suggest you do lots of trials on an old model or on paper until you're happy before doing the real deal.

Good luck!

Looking great so far Glenn. I agree with Andy, and I find that if you keep the brush 'on', and move on to, and away from, the 'target areas', increasing the pressure as required, it makes things smoother, and avoids 'splatter' and over-sized mottle.
It's difficult to explain, and obviously much easier to demonstrate, but if you grasp the basis of what I mean, have a go on a scrap model, a piece of card, a passing vagrant, whatever, and keep the brush moving. You'll soon find the most comfortable method.

Thanks for the advice Andy. I will be doing some practicing before I have a go at it, and I'll keep the paint thin and pressure low.. Terry I think I get what you mean, Start the air before the tip of the brush is oner the model, then when in position, pull back on the leaver slowly and release a little paint. I can set the paint flow very low on my Sotar so I think I can make it work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back