**** DONE: Bf109F-1, W.Nr. 5628, Werner Molders, Stab JG51, Me/FW Group Build. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Got some more done, then had to stop. Two tins of paint had dried in the bl**dy tins, and i can't get any more now until Thursday, at the earliest ! B***er !!

When you live to far away from a quick dash to the nearest hobby shop or you can't get what you want in your town, keep a supply and like all good old store bashers, I've got a good stash stored away.

I do Vic. Problem is, this current 'pretend' Humbrol stuff is nowhere near the quality of the original product. The ones which have 'gone off' are the second of each colour I bought (got 2 tins of each) only about four weeks ago ! I've got some Humbrol (the original 'real' Humbrol) which is well over 30 years old, and still perfect!
The main problem is that one of the colours is a 'basic' - matt white, and the other the dark green 163 (better than the current No.30), with which I was going to mix (with the addition of black) the RLM02 for the internal canopy frames and armour plate, to match the rest of the interior.

What a joke, the new ones gone to pot (no pun intended!) already and the originals still good. Any use in writing the company to sort their XXXX out and go back to the original mix?

I do Vic. Problem is, this current 'pretend' Humbrol stuff is nowhere near the quality of the original product. The ones which have 'gone off' are the second of each colour I bought (got 2 tins of each) only about four weeks ago ! I've got some Humbrol (the original 'real' Humbrol) which is well over 30 years old, and still perfect!
The main problem is that one of the colours is a 'basic' - matt white, and the other the dark green 163 (better than the current No.30), with which I was going to mix (with the addition of black) the RLM02 for the internal canopy frames and armour plate, to match the rest of the interior.

Get yourself some model master paints....great stuff! I've had a string of luck even with the little testor jars.

Proberly make it that way mate so people like yourselves end up having to buy more = increase in sales= larger profits

Looking forward to more on the 109 :)

Nah, it all happened when Hornby bought up Airfix and Humbrol. The original, dating from the early 1900s, Humber Oil Company (Humbrol) factory at Hull, UK, closed down. Now the paint is made heaven knows where (probably China?), and marketed under the Humbrol brand name.
I use Vallejo acrylics sometimes, but prefer the versatility of enamels. I've been trying to get my LHS to stock WEM, or MM, but there's a problem with display space, due to the racks, and minimum order quantities. Ordering by internet/mail order is restrictive, as most have to have a minimum order, and of course you can't get it immediately, when needed.
Anyway, I hope to get some more done tonight - pics soon.

Good luck on all counts Terry...btw, didn't know 'Humbrol' was the 'Humber Oil Company' -any connection to the WW II Humber armoured car manufacturer?

Yup - good luck fella.

I agree about the versatility of enamels (long time fantasy figure painter here) but when the product is as flakey as it seems to be now there's not much point in shelling out for what might be a couple of brush strokes.

That said, haway then - let's see more of the 109 :)

Weyeye man, its ganna be here soon!
Evan, no connection with the Humber car company (far as I know). They started off around 1900 or so, producing oils for bicycles, and were at Marfleet, Hull, on the banks of the Humber River.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back