***DONE: Bf110D of 9./ ZG 26 MTO 1941 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jamierd

Senior Airman
Jul 16, 2009
Glenrothes Scotland
username:Jamierd
first name :jamie
category: 3
scale:1/48
manufacturer:Fujimi
model type :BF110 C/D
details :BF110d of III ZG 26 North Africa 1942
decals :eek:ut of box

Well here goes nothing lol.IT will probably take me a month just to do the canopy .will get some pictures done just as soon as i figure out the camera

Attachments

• 2_34.jpg
    2_34.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 2_34_a1.jpg
    2_34_a1.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 416
Last edited by a moderator:
Example of good imagination :) Lots of mistakes.

1. This code indicate this a/c as II./ZG26, not III./ZG26 mashine.

2. II./ZG26 never based in Africa. The maximum "southern" locations were Larissa, Athens-Tatoi and Argos (Greece), but in 1941. In 1942 gruppe was in action over Ostfront, on the Brjansk front, Moskow direction, and disbanded in april 1942.

3. N indicate this as 5./ZG26, famous "Pik As Staffel", a/c must wear "Pik As" emblem and "Clog schuhe" emblem on engine cowling. Also, letter "B"must be in staffel colour (red or black), not in yellow as shown.

4. III./ZG26 received Tropical Bf110E's with RLM78/79 camou, but they never added RLM80 to camouflage (for example as JG27 did).

5. Thix is Bf110C, not D.

This a/c profile is 100% free speculation.

Last edited:
you are correct I have misread the profile it does say 5/ZG 26 not 3 my appologies for the mistake as for the rest i really dont have a clue lol

Evgeny, was the "Pik-as" symbol similar to that used by JG53 or slightly different? If it was similar Jaimie might be able to get some decals for it from one of the modellers here.

my german is not that good not a clue what "pik-as " is i think though the schue thing is a clogg but not sure i have a good number of decals here as the kit came with options for 4 aircraft they are as follows
M8+FA
3U+kk
3U+bt
G9+In
LN+KR
ok thats 5 but the first 1 is a dackelbauch odd looking bird

This is the Pik-As squadron symbol used by 5./ZG26

ZG26_II_5.jpg

Here's an interesting plane from III./ZG26:

Messerschmitt_Bf_110E-1_3UZS_400x125.jpg

Last edited:
The details are the same Jamie; 8/ZG26 is the 8th Staffel of ZG26. There were 3 Staffeln to a Gruppe (later 4 Staffeln) so the 8th Staffel would be in the 3rd Gruppe. Therefore, to give a general identification of just the Gruppe, the 'III' would be used. To be more specific, and indicate which Staffel, the '8' would be used, which automatically indicates the Gruppe. Confused yet??
Anyway, the only way (so far) I've figured to get some profiles from a book on PDF, short of printing them then scanning, is to make separate PDF's for the relevant pages. So here's some '110C's and E's, from John Vasco's 110 in Colour Profiles book, by Schiffer, and a profile from the Squadron Signal '110 In Action book.
From what I remember, the Fuijimi kit has the parts, and I think some of the decals, to make the 'E' version also.
BTW, the two B&W pics on the same page go with the first PDF profile.
Hope these prove useful.
Terry.

Attachments

• Can Jan 105.jpg
    Can Jan 105.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 421
  • Bf110 Profile 1.pdf
    864.9 KB · Views: 228
  • Bf110 Profile 2.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
  • Bf110 Profile 3.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 193
  • Pic for 110 profile 1.pdf
    608.9 KB · Views: 227
thanks airframes the kit does contain decals for 3U+KT i think the onlty thing missing would be the nose which if i am right on the E has the air intake perched on it.Other than that 3U+KT is a go .the only other nose cone i have is for a G model completely the wrong shape .How difficult would it be to adapt the D nose to an E.given i have never done anything remotely like this before

I'd need to have a look at my plans and pics for the 'E' model, to see the shape and size of the intake, and any other mods to the tropical version(s), but from what I recall, it wasn't that far removed from the shape of the 'G' intake. Anyway, whatever the size/shape, it should be fairly simple to mould directly onto the nose with Milliput. If you haven't seen/used this stuff, it's a two-part epoxy putty, marvellous stuff, for filling, moulding etc etc etc. When prepared, and kneaded for a while, it's soft, like 'Plasticine', and can be 'stuck' in place, moulded roughly to shape then, when hard, carved and sanded.
The best one to get is the 'Standard - Yellow/Grey', which is around £2 or £3, and should last for ages. Great for filling gaps too, as it can be smoothed with a wet finger - none of this soft putty nonsense of smearing loads all over a gap and so on!
If/when you get some, have a bit of a trial moulding small things, to get used to how it hardens etc. Sometimes, it's best to leave the rough shape for an hour or so, until it's part-hardened, then it can be carefully cut and sliced. Once it's fully hard, it's like armoured steel!!
BTW, it's great for filling teeth too! I've still got a tooth filled with the stuff, done about 8 years ago, in an emergency!!! But don't tell anyone.....

been looking at 3U+KT and really cant make up my mind what colour it is found another profile of the same plane and it made things worse it lookes like someone went mad with a tin of red paint lol any ideas what colour it should be

I'd have to check the RLM numbers, as the MTO Luftwaffe colour schemes aren't my strong point, but I'd say it's the 'standard' sand and browns. The problem with profiles is how they are produced, especially if digitally, and then how they are printed, and then, ultimately, how colours show on monitor screens. But, there shouldn't be any red! The profile I posted, when viewed in the original printed form, looks as close as you'd get in the printing process, in my opinion, and I was in 'the trade' for quite a few yearsafter leaving the forces!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back