***DONE: Henschel HS-129 B-1, MTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks guys for the kind words.

I want to take a minute to correct some of the information I had given in regards to the lower engine cowlings. The Cylindrical air intakes of the cowl on the left is from the Hs 129 B/0 B/1 Models. When Henschel made the B/2 variant there were many problems, some of which were that the Gnome Rhone 14M engine was still under power and prone to seizure. They also had little tolerance for dust, sand and battle damage. The Henschel design team set to work on improving the Hs 129 in order to correct the problems. These improvements included modifying the lower engine cowling (better filters were added) and later even shortening the exhaust pipes. It was believed that by shortening the exhaust it would help reduce engine over heating.

The Hs129 that I am building falls between the times of these improvements so it will have the better filtered lower cowlings but not the shortened exhaust pipes. Approximately 90% of the Hs 129 B/2 had this configuration.

Engine004copy.jpg

Sorry for the misinformation earlier. I now return you to the regularly scheduled build.

Regards

Yep we just got back from dinner and there is not much to do. So I am on my dads laptop. Tons of pics for when I get back late tomorrow!! It has been sooooo fun!

Parks and such close at 7.

Hello again and welcome to the next installment of the Hs129 build. Lets start off with a little more information on this exciting plane. Since this is a MTO build its only reasonable to get a little history of how this aircraft fit into the MTO puzzle.

History

In the fall of 1942, Britian was sending the Afrika Korps and their Italian allies in a full westward retreat. The British triumph was due in good part to their growing superiority in armor and other ground forces. In October of that same year the Luftwaffe decided to deploy a squadron of Hs 129B's to the theater. This squadron was commanded by Hauptmann (Capt) Bruno Meyer a veteran ground attack pilot and holder of the Knights cross.

Back to the table and the Hs 129

Next i decided to attack the aircraft's landing gear. As you can see there really isn't much to see here. It kinda looks like something my girlfriends cat hacked up. :lol:
ModelPhotos021.jpg

Not really a whole lot that will be done. The majority of the gear will be hidden in the gear well. so I started by sanding the injection holes and removing the plastic that was suppose to be the scissor assembly.
ModelPhotos020copy.jpg

Next I broke out the PE and went to work. If only all PE was as easy at this one was. :lol:

Before
ModelPhotos023.jpg

After
ModelPhotos024.jpg

Here you can see how the PE scissors fit to the strut. It looks a lot better IMHO
ModelPhotos026.jpg

Next I sanded some more and added some paint and vola! completed strut. Well almost. I of course still have the tires to add and I'm hoping to add some break lines but I'm not sure I have anything small enough at this time. I think stripped CAT5 wire I usually use will be too big for this application.
ModelPhotos033.jpg

The last thing I did tonight was to drill out and add the two 7.92mm MG 17 machine guns to the lower fuselage sides.
ModelPhotos040.jpg

Here is the 7.92mm MG 17 machine gun muzzel pre-install
ModelPhotos038.jpg
[/IMG]

Well that all for now. Thanks for taking the time from your day to look at my stuff.

Last edited:
Agree with Wayne!

Dirk, we took some tour, and one of the rangers drives your car and describes everything, guns, cannons, and anything else and I took a picture of the 'slaughter pen' where 1500 men from the Alabama 42nd and 44th were killed while trying to make a sneak attack.

The area was less than a quarter the size of a foorball field.

You got some real good work going on here Dirk

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks Vic. I got the top and bottoms of the plane painted with the base coats. Time permitting I'm going to start the mottle. I've been scouring the internet to find the best method. I'm thinking this will be too fine a job for my Badger 175.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on it.

history

Most of the Hs 129's that found there way to Africa were transfered from the Eastern front. The aircraft's dark green and black green upper surfaces were mostly over painted with RLM79 (sand yellow)with RLM 80 (Olive green) patches. Others were painted sand brown with reddish brown patches and at least one had sand yellow upper structure with dark green and dark brown mottling. It was believed that Italian paints were used on some of the aircraft sent to North Africa. The under surfaces were finished in RLM 65 or RLM 78 (Light blues). Most had white nose bands, Under surface wingtips, and aft fuselage bands. Theses aircraft also had individual colored numbers placed in front of the fuselage Balkenkreuz.

On to the model

The next step was adding some paint. I started by applying the light blue to the underside of the aircraft.

OldCockpitandBombadier02005.jpg

After some drying time on went the RLM 79

OldCockpitandBombadier02002.jpg

OldCockpitandBombadier02001.jpg

After a few more days of drying I dove into the mottling. This is a first for me. I have to admit I'm happy with the results.

OldCockpitandBombadier02003.jpg

OldCockpitandBombadier02004.jpg

After the mottling dries I will soften them up with some dry brushing with more RLM 79.

Till next time. Thanks for looking.

PS, here is a photo of another Hs 129 from Tunisia

henschel129-tunis.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back