***DONE: Henschel HS-129 B-1, MTO Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've only done a little bit with resin parts so I'm probably not the best person to ask but I'll try.

Resin parts are typically cast in silicon rubber molds which allow a very high degree of detail. However silicon molds degrade much faster than the molds for polystyrene plastic. That reduces the number of production runs one can get with the molds and raises costs.

You need to make sure that you are very careful dealing with resin parts if you are cutting or sanding them. The dust from them can be extremely nasty and dangerous if inhaled. And attaching resin parts typically requires the use of CA (superglue).

The only issues I've had with resin parts was the tendency of the small fiddly bits to break if you even look at them crossways. I know that some resin kits have problems with tiny bubbles in the castings which are a MAJOR pain in the arse but I haven't done a full resin kit yet, just a few accessories here and there. :D

You said *rse! :lol:

Be kind and put the money in the jar.....:lol:

I've been holding off starting this build until I get my book from Squadron. As of yesterday I still haven't received it. In my preparation for getting started I went to my LHS and picked up some of the RLM paint I will need to complete this build. To my surprise they had the very book I've been waiting for. I thumbed through it and feel confident that I can go ahead and start this bad (_!_) bird without it.

IMG_1422.jpg

So here it goes fellas, the MTO HS 129 Tank Buster build is underway. \\:D/

africacorpstankinsignia07.jpg

First started off with the fuselage. As I've come to expect from Italeri it has some nice detail as you can see. These pictures were taken under normal lighting without a flash. When I used the flash it washed out the details.
HS129Image01.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was open the access panels to the radio compartment and transmitter.
HS129Image02.jpg

I started by using a pin vise to make holes at the corners and then using a sharp knife I scribed between them. I then used some small files to get them to the proper shape and size. After some Patience I have two respectable openings. They need to be cleaned up a bit with sand paper but so far so good.

I'd like to take a moment to introduce to all you guys over seas to 'Ole Abe Lincoln . He was our 16th President here in the United States. He's going to be joining us for this build to emphasize scale. It seems rather funny to be using an American coin but I don't have anything German ones so as I so often say, "It is what it is"
HS129Image03.jpg

HS129Image04.jpg

HS129Image05.jpg

The next step I needed to do was make some room for the new cockpit that I will be building from PE. As you can see in the pictures the gun wells extend pretty far into the cockpit area. Being in such a tight area I decided to use a course grit sand paper to do this. I could have used the ole Dermal but was afraid I would take off too much to fast and break through the side of the fuselage.

I hope this is enough because the walls are pretty thin now.
HS129Image06.jpg

Next I broke out the air brush and painted the cockpit walls, the interiors of the wheel wells and landing gear doors. According to the research I've done German aircraft used RLM 66 after 1941. It looks a little dark to me but I'm sure I can lighten it up with some dry brushing.

Instead of waisting paint I gave the wheels, props and engines a coat too.
HS129Image08.jpg

Tonight I have some clients to go see and have to take the boy to Cub Scouts so I'm not sure if I'll make any progress so till next time...

:thumbright:. Some nice work here. But still the same mistake. Parts of a model should be cut out of the mould frames firstly. Then cleaned and painted finally. Most of guys is astonished when something doeasn't want to fit properly.This is the main reason. Also it has a great influence on the final appearance of a model.

I know this is a beginner question but I will ask anyway :oops:. I understand removing exterior parts from the tree before painting but why is it bad to paint the interior first?

DBII

So I'll ask you another question. Are you sure that all parts of the cockpit interior can fit correctly ?

Last edited:
We aren't talking about photoetched parts at the moment.

You lost me. You asked "Are you sure that all parts of the cockpit interior can fit correctly ?"

and then added that you "aren't talking about the PE cockpit." What does it matter if the original fits or not, if its not being used?
I'n not quite sure what you are getting at.

Oh...now I'm a little bit lost.:lol:

The queston is for DBII but not for you. If we talk about the PE cocpit interior all is OK with the way. Of course these PE parts are always designed for a particular kits and should fit excellently.But mistakes can be made everywhere unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back