Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much Karl, Alex, Kevin and Corey.
I just hope the paintwork turns out alright; been having a 'chat' with Karl re recent changes in Humbrol paint consistency - since Humbrol folded, and Hornby took over, the paints released very recently have been terrible! Might have to use Xtracolor gloss paints. Oh well, all part of growing up and being British! (as they say in Monty Python!)
Might get some more done tonight, if so will post some pics.

Definately noticed the change in humbrol's paint quality myself. At hand though they are the most readily available paint for me, I'd have to venture into the city to find a better range.

I just hope the paintwork turns out alright; been having a 'chat' with Karl re recent changes in Humbrol paint consistency - since Humbrol folded, and Hornby took over, the paints released very recently have been terrible! Might have to use Xtracolor gloss paints.
Might get some more done tonight, if so will post some pics.

You will overcome this minor hurdle Terry!:D

Thanks for the comments Guys.
Screaming', no problem you doing the same bird, I'm not 'competeing' anyway, and it doesn't matter if everyone did the same subject, as long as there's the spirit of the GB, which there definitely is!
As Wayne said, I'm sure I'll get around any paint problems; it's just irritating that, having been THE world leader in model paints, specially formulated to give good coverage but not clog detail, Humbrol just isn't as good any more. This is especially so after using their paints for 46 years! Glad to hear it's not just me that's having problems - although I hope others aren't having too much trouble - I was beginning to think maybe it was just the stock at my local model shop.
As for acrylics, I'm still not ready to change over - they work OK, but I don't think they are as versatile, and they are a real PITA for drying too quick on the airbrush needle! Also, volume for volume, they now actually work out more expensive than enamels, by a long margin, when considering useful life and volume to thinner ratios etc.

A quick update on where I've got to on the Tamiya 1/48th scale kit.
The wings and tailplanes are on, as is the 'sticky out intake thingy' as it has been refered to elsewhere! (Supercharger intake). The annular radiator is in place, and the cowling with the open gills, together with the top decking and cowling cover. The gap at the underside of the wing leading edge centre section has been filled, although it doesn't show very much in the pics, and the wing roots have also been filled. I used superglue, and some 'Kristal Klear' for this.
The guns muzzles have been drilled out, and the holes for the starter crank, flap angle viewing holes and the undercarriage indicators have also been attended too, along with the actuator mounting points for the flaps and ailerons. The undercarriage indicator 'pegs' will be made from streched sprue, and added at the last minute, after painting and finishing.
The next step, after tidying up, is to mask where neccessary, and spray on the RLM76, which I'll mix from Xtracolor gloss enamels - should possibly save at least one coat of Johnson's Klear!
I'll be ordering some more Xtracolor RLM colours from Hannants, as I don't want to risk b*****ing about with the latest type of Humbrol paints!
All being well, I should get the first paint on, and have some more pics posted tomorrow night (Sunday).
Thanks for your comments and help so far.
Terry.

Attachments

• Group build 106.jpg
    Group build 106.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 171
  • Group build 107.jpg
    Group build 107.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 203
  • Group build 109.jpg
    Group build 109.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 228
  • Group build 111.jpg
    Group build 111.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 741
  • Group build 112.jpg
    Group build 112.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Group build 113.jpg
    Group build 113.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 214
  • Group build 117.jpg
    Group build 117.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Group build 118.jpg
    Group build 118.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 137
Thanks chaps, jolly decent of you, don't you know!
I think you'll get more painting done than me, Cory, unless I decide to mix the other cammo colours as well. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until the paints arrive from Hannant's, and I haven't even ordered them yet!
Thinks! Iris, at the Model Shop, can probably get them in quicker than waiting for a delivery...and I won't have to pay for them until they arrive!
Yippee Dippy Doo!

You aint slow Dan, your model is a LOT bigger than ours. The Tamiya 1/48th kit actually doesn't have that many parts up to this stage, and I can't really go any further with actual construction, until it's painted. THAT is going to take some time as, believe it or not, it's a bit more difficult to get it right, and build up such things as the mottle, due to the lack of manouvering room, as it were! Then, of course, I need to allow for a few f***k ups along the way!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back