Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The build is coming along nicely Terry, another one I'm looking forward to seeing paint on. :thumbleft:

Well, I was hoping to get the first paint on, and post some pics tonight. But everything's gone to rat poo due to a friend of mine. He was supposed to be calling around on his way home, at about 9.30 ish, to drop some milk off and other bits and pieces. So, not wanting to be interupted in spraying by having to get up and hobble to the front door, I decided to wait until he'd gone.
He didn't turn up!
If he'd said he might not make it, I would have got on with things. Instead, all I managed to do was experiment with paint mixes, whilst waiting for the little sod!
So I decided it was getting too late to start messing about, and called it a day (or night!). But at least I've sorted the Xtracolor gloss enamel mix for RLM76, and I'll get a coat on tomorrow. Also got to order some more Xtracolor RLM paints!
Now, I'm bushed, so I'm off to the land of dreams!

I've hit a bit of a wall re obtaining the Xtracolor paints I wanted. The only place I can get them from is Hannant's, but they'll only despatch paints with a kit! As I'm not ready to purchase a kit just for a few tins of paint, I've had to stick with my old favourite, Humbrol, so bought some greens today, to mix the RLM 82 and 83. Problem is, they are the 'new' Humbrol, made elsewhere, and looks like they have that problem I encountered when doing the Huey. The b****y stuff won't dry!
OK, I started with a very thin coat, which I might have made too thin, as it's still tacky after four hours of drying! So, I'm about to have a bit of a 'play about', and see what happens. If all goes well, I'll get some pics up later tonight. If not, there's a rather tart letter going of to Hornby!
This is really starting to get on my tits, as I made sure I stired it extra well - and still the stuff is sh**e!
Grrrr! Mumbles as he walks off towards the compressor.....

Well, the paint was just about dry enough to try a second coat, so I re-mixed it, with more paint to thinner this time, but I'm still not happy! I have the horrible feeling that Hornby (Humbrol as was), will be getting a really snotty letter in a couple of days time!
Not only is it still nowhere near as dry as it should be after 2 hours, the shade is totally different from that on the tin lid!
I've used Humbrol No.150 as a base for the RLM 82, applying it neat, and thin, with a view to buiding it up, with a final coat ever so slightly darker. But the b****y stuff looks more like a very light Olive Drab!
The first shot shows the lightened RLM 76, which was mixed from an old tin of 'real' Humbrol No.65, to which a spot of black was added, in order to achieve the grey/blue hue. This was applied by paint brush, and went on beautifully, without problems, and dried totally, and hard and smooth, within 30 minutes.
The second pic shows the first airbrushed application of the green; as you will see, deliberately thin and patchy. The pic was taken immediately after spraying, with the paint still wet.
The final pic is the second coat, with the paint to thinner ratio thicker, and applied lightly. It still looks very light, but that's not a problem, as I can easily darken it, IF the b****y stuff will dry!
If not, it will have to come off, and I'll dig out some old paints, and re-mix to match. If all else fails, I'll just have to order a kit from Hannant's, so that they'll send the Xtracolor paints as well!
This current 'replacement' Humbrol paint is doing my head in - the 'Huey' was nearly ruined because of this type of paint, and now the 'Dora' could suffer because of it! Don't know who Hornby are using to manufacture the 'Humbrol' brand, but it's nowhere near what it was, and after 46 years of using it without problems, it is more than annoying to see the results now!
B****y Nora!

Attachments

• Group build 136.jpg
    Group build 136.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 84
  • Group build 132.jpg
    Group build 132.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 86
  • Group build 137.jpg
    Group build 137.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 86
Wow Terry, that's ridiculous. I go to the store all the time and they have Tamiya, Model Master (enamel and acrylics) Gunze, and Humbrol. I never gave it a second thought really, I didn't realize how limited it is for you (at close hand). I wonder how they manage to f**k things up that badly, when it works for years? I just bought some Humbrol for my carrier, hopefully it's not a fight.

It does look good to me from the pictures though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back