Done : Fw190D-9, "Black 12" of Leutnant Teo Nibel of 10/JG54, Gruppe Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It is a yellowish green Wayne. Very like a cross between faded Light Olive Drab, and Interior Green (US). Put the tin next to it, and the colours are totally different!
As I mentioned, I'm not too bothered about the shade, I can correct that eventually, IF the b****y stuff will dry!
I think I might have to bite the bullet, and order a kit from Hannant's, together with a decent stock of all the important colours I would normally use, from the Xtracolor range. Having used 'old' Humbrol for the RLM76, and some other recent colours, I KNOW it's not me - it's definitely this new manufacturer - it's got to be, as the paint even smells different!
To achieve what you see in the pics, for the green, I've had to pour-off nearly half the tin, in order to dissolve the b****y stuff in the thinners. Trying to just measure out 'a bit', then add the required amount of thinners, which I've done ever since I first started using an airbrush, 30 years ago, just doesn't work. And this has only happened with those paints bought within the last 6 months or so, with the new label showing the Honnby name and address in small print on the back of the tin. When it first occured, with Satin White, I thought it was just a one-off, until I realized that all of the tins causing the problem were the 'new' ones. B****y annoying, to say the least!

Terry has the paint viscosity changed much as well?

I'm also noticing the shelf life of some of my humbrol's are decreasing. When I seal them I always wrap a few runs of sticky tape around the base and lid to keep it sealed up yet I found my satin black to be in a right state the other day.

Hope you get the colour sorted mate!

Alex, yes, the viscosity has changed tremendously. It reminds me of some of the Revell paints, and is quite thick and almost rubbery with some colours. You can stir and stir till the cows come home and, although it smooths out a bit, it is still thick Thinning in the tin just knackers it as well. As for the shelf life, I've got some tins that are literally 20 years old at least, and they are fine, and still useable. The RLM 02 I used I know to be over 20 years old, as it's one of the earlier 'Authentic Colours'! I bought a tin of matt white over the Christmas period, and now it is almost solid! The other colours aren't far behind either. It's b****y ridiculous!

Thanks, 'Eagle!
Jan, it would be great if Humbrol could go back, but they no longer exist!
It was Humbrol that last owned Airfix and Heller etc, and when they were going bump, Hornby bought the lot. Unfortunately, the Humbrol factory in Hull, what used to be the Humber Oil Company (hence Humbrol), closed down for good, I think about four years ago, and is now derelict, vandalised, and part fire damaged I believe.
So, Hornby obviously have another company making the paints - and they are totally different! Humbrol, many years ago, formulated their paints to cope with modern palstic kits, making them thin enough not to obscure, or clog, the moulded detail, but even enough to give good coverage, when brushed, in one coat without thinning. They were, as far as I know, the first to introduce 'Authentic Colours', for camouflage, and railway modelling and, even when thinned for airbrushing, quite often a single coat was sufficient.
I very much doubt anything can be done to improve this situation, as I'm guessing the paint formulas died with the Humbrol company. Not just sad, but very annoying!
When I call in to see Iris at the Model Shop, I'm going to try to persuade her to stock Xtracolor, which she should be able to get trade from Hannants, as they're the UK distributor. Meanwhile, it's make the best of it, or change to acrylics, which I'm loth to do, as they aren't as versatile in use, although they do have some good features.
Anyway, enough moaning; I've managed to get some remedial work done on the Dora, but can't get a pic at the moment, as I don't want to move it to the 'studio' (under my desk lamp with the daylight bulb!) until I know it's dry! Don't want to make a ba!!s of it at this stage!
I'll hopefully get some pics up later today or this evening.
On mit der frei jagd!
EDIT: just seen your post Karl, we crossed! Thanks mate, I'll get there!

Shame to hear about the Humbrol paints - I am just about to order the colours for my Hurri and was going to go Humbrol (because it's Airfix and has all the right numbers listed!), I will look for alternatives now :evil: Have also decided to bite the bullet and order proper RLM 75/76 for the Dornier, as I would have to buy even more paint to get the right mix anyways. At least ordering a job lot will spread the P&P cost a bit!

Anyways, the machine looks very good, paint issues or no! 8)

It's a little later than intended, but I've finally got some pics of the paintwork to date! Even after much experimenting, the b****y paint still caused problems when airbrushed. Oh yes, it (almost) sprayed OK, but still wouldn't dry properly. Thankfully, I tested it on a 'hack' model I keep for just such usage, and not on the 'Dora'. So, it was back to more experimenting, and mixing of paints. After a LOT of stirring, and the addition of a spot or two of matt black, I eventually got the Humbrol, or pretend Humbrol, Number 150 to resemble the colour it was meant to be! This was sprayed over the first coat, as I wanted to provide a darker base for the following coat of lighter green.
Thankfully, having given it a stir for about ten minutes, and with the addition of the matt black from 'old' Humbrol stock, it eventually dried.
The light green RLM 83 was produced by using a Revell semi-matt paint which, although a bit on the bright side at the moment, will tone down after some shading, and the application of the gloss and semi-matt clear coats.
I tried to then spray the RLM 82 to form the soft camouflage pattern, but it started to play silly games again so, rather than throw the model across the room, I decided to cut my losses, and bring out the paint brushes!
The remainder of the colour scheme was completed with the good old-fashioned hairy stick, including the beginnings of the mottle and blending, as was the application of the RLM 75 Grauviolet on the cowling and rear fuselage spine. Some streaks of RLM 81 were added on the rear fuselage, again by brush, mixed from available 'old' Humbrol paints, and some more of grey over the front panels, together with the darker patch on the port side in front of the cockpit, following the pattern in the photographs and profiles provided by Lucky and Wayne. (Thanks guys!).
The base for the exhaust staining was added around the still-empty exhaust stack ports, again using the photos as reference, using a technique I call 'damp brushing', which is basically using thinned paint, on a small brush that's only just damp, as opposed to 'dry brushing', and applying it as if sketching with a pencil.
Once the paint has settled for at least another twelve hours, just to make sure (!), a similar process will be applied to the mottle and the demarcation line of the colours on the cowling.
Finally, in order to satisfy my desire for SOMETHING to go right, I did a tiny bit of shading on the upper wings, and some panel lines on the underside. There's still a heck of a lot to do in the paint department, before the first coat of 'Klear' (Future) can be applied, but at least now, I feel I'm getting somewhere. Next step is an explicit letter to Hornby Hobbies, who market the paint under the old, and much-loved Humbrol brand name, and a hunt for alternative enamels that I can obtain locally.
Hopefully, I might make some more progress in the next day or so, and I'll post some pics as I go.
Thanks for your interest.
Terry.

Attachments

• Group Build 140.jpg
    Group Build 140.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Group Build 143.jpg
    Group Build 143.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Group Build 145.jpg
    Group Build 145.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Group Build 152.jpg
    Group Build 152.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 89
Thanks BT. Which make of paints are you going for? I'm interested to hear of any enamels that are OK.

I will get Lifecolour acrylic for the RLM numbers, as the paints are designed to match the codes. ( Having said that, they do to RLM 76s :rolleyes: I will choose the lighter one and hope for the best!!!!!)

As for the Hurri paints, I'm not sure. Back when I did a lot of modelling for Games Workshop games, I used GW acrylic, so that is the medium I am most used to. In fact, I still have loads of them, some of which are still OK, and I use them for generic colours now. So, I have considered Humbrol acrylic as it seems i can just order the same numbers and get the same paints. Other than that, I have looked at Vallejo, I just might go mad and splash out! I suppose at the moment it is a bit of trial and error, I am still at a stage where I haven't used enough different products to make good comparisons. Hence I don't but expensive kits yet :lol:

And the machine looks better and better mate 8)

Thanks BT. I'm not too keen on acrylics myself, so I'll keep looking for a Humbrol replaement, probably Xtracolor, though it means mail order, which is a PITA when you run out and need some in a hurry!
OOPS! Forgot to say thanks guys! It's getting there, I hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back