**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting camo on this one! The wings look different from the fuselage, which in turns looks different from the cowling. Not sure what I'm seeing but it could possibly be three colors on that fuselage. Look at the wear on the rear of the prop!

Just caught up with the last 6 or 7 pages and it is really looking great with all that extra PE Kirby.

I had to stop a wile back until I stoped laughing when the subject of boiled monkey butts and Terry being slaped with a wet haddock came up. Thoes are two images that it will take a while to fade from my brain.

God, I love this place!
:evil4:

That's a cracker of a cameo scheme, not sure I'd be able to handle it but have to agree a yellow base first and airbrush the green.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Thanks for the pics Wojtek, I had come across these just recently :thumbright:

Interesting camo on this one! The wings look different from the fuselage, which in turns looks different from the cowling. Not sure what I'm seeing but it could possibly be three colors on that fuselage. Look at the wear on the rear of the prop!

You're right John, the camo on the fuselage and wings is the 3-colour index C8 "fried egg" scheme that was applied to early Folgores. From the Stormo site:

C8 camo.JPG

The cowling was a replacement from another aircraft with an African scheme. I only came across the picture with the worn prop recently and unfortunately have already painted and assembled the prop and spinner (pictures not posted yet). I will need to carefully strip the back of the props and recreate this effect.

I'm seeing a straight Green over the light brown on that fuselage....should make painting a little easier....

Should be a good one. It'll take some time, doing a bit now and then, but I agree - freehand, and the green over the sand base colour.

That's a cracker of a cameo scheme, not sure I'd be able to handle it but have to agree a yellow base first ans airbrush the green

Thanks Wayne, Terry, and Vic - I agree and was leaning that way. I think the best way to achieve a realistic finish is to attempt to do it the same way it was done in real life, albeit at a smaller scale. If you look at the spray patterns in the images Wojtek has posted above, it looks to me as though the sand colour was laid down as the basecoat and the green pattern was sprayed over the top. What do you think? That will be slower than painting sand coloured mottles but I think is the best way to go. Thanks for your help and opinions, much appreciated.

So green over the sand to create the mottling effect? Based on the photos, I think this would create the most realistic result, IF you can pull it off. I'm seeing a third color in a random occurrence (not in the fried egg pattern) over the fuselage and wings.

So green over the sand to create the mottling effect? Based on the photos, I think this would create the most realistic result, IF you can pull it off. I'm seeing a third color in a random occurrence (not in the fried egg pattern) over the fuselage and wings.

Thanks John, this will definitely push my airbrushing skills in this scale. Still tossing up whether to use Blu-tac as suggested by Geo or raised paper masking but will likely just go freehand. I think I'll need to do some trials on a mule to sort it out. Hard to tell in the B&W photos, but I think what you might be seeing is a slightly more extensive application of the Bruno Mimetico than just the small patch in the middle of the sand yellow. This might be a more accurate profile than the one supplied by Eduard. There also appears to be a fourth colour there where a previous identification code has been painted over, just because it's not complicated enough!

scheme a.jpg

scheme b.jpg

I agree with that newer profile on the upper wings but to me, the fuselage pattern looks noticeably different than the wings. More of a scribble pattern, green over sand that almost obliterates the sand underneath. And then some random patches of that third darker color. It'll be a fun one to do!

I tried doing a dark on light mottle pattern a few years back on a G55. Although it was only two colors, it still gave me a headache.

IMG_7612_zpstntersth.jpg

IMG_7620_zpsf5tmqfvc.jpg

JTK_4891_zpsh0uiy1nc.jpg

That profile looks more accurate Kirby. I agree with John that the fuselage looks as though it's been heavily oversprayed with a dark green. Maybe as though you take the profile scheme and spray more green over it?

Note the heavily worn surface on the back of the propeller blades in Wojtek's pic.

IMHO the fuselage got the mottling with the brown spots almost overpainting the sand/yellow ones. What is more the brown spots overpainted the green colour at many areas.
Judging by the pics, the wing tops had more sand/yellow colour for the camo there. Possible there was no brown paint at all or there was less brown paint or just less of the brown camo spots .like in the profile above.

The fuselage mottling ... something like this one...

mc202_4.jpg

mc202_4a.jpg

The pic source: Macchi C.202 Folgore by Marco Bossi (Hasegawa 1/48)

And here and attempt to the camo rendition. I would say the fuselage could be although it should be a little bit darker ( more of green e.g.) . Still not sure if the wing tops are painted correctly. But the engine cowling seems to be almost painted in the proper way but not like that the Eduard profile suggests.

mc202_1.jpg

mc202_1a.jpg

mc202_2.jpg

mc202_2a.jpg

the pic source... Modelarstwo z pasją • Zobacz wątek - MC.202 Folgore, Hasegawa 1:48

Thank you John. Also I would say that the vertical stabilizers and elevators were painted in the same way the fuselage was. The wing tops were painted a little bit different as the pic shows. The yellow patches were larger comparing to the brown spots that were applied quite irregulary. Therefore there were areas of the sand/yellow without the brown spots The profille presents that quite well. Just my opinion.

ra-macchi-c-202-folgore-51s155g378sa-378-4-italy-1942-03-jpg.jpg

scheme-b-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Right, back home now! Thanks very much for the fantastic analysis guys! :thumbright: I have to say I agree with Wojtek on this one. My take on it is that the Bruno Mimetico (brown) has been applied more liberally on the fuselage and horizontal stabs so that it almost completely obscures the Giallo Mimetico mottles and also covers some of the Verde Mimetico. I think the profile has got it pretty right.

John, that's lovely work on the G55, was it 1/48? That gives me some hope I can pull this off...

Kirby forgives, I missed it and maybe I can help at the time of painting, on the recommendation of a colleague from another forum and an Italian modeling association that guides me through the colors of a book (Colori e Schemi Mimetici Regia Aeronautica 1935 -1943_CMPR) and this page that I leave here:

STORMO! Color Guide

As you say the mimic bruno, was applied indiscriminately did not necessarily in the earth color, as I have been reading and seeing in photos as they were advancing in the war so meticulous paintings that applied to their aircraft were being neglected, the lines left to be so clear even, I mean, that the painting of a camouflage of Africa could be the D1 of 1942 in 1943 the separations of the colors were more blurred.

in its day I already made this camouflage but from 1941, in a mc200 bolt to 1/72 look I leave you a sample

46.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back