**** DONE: GB-36 1/48 Macchi C.202 Folgore - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Italiano camo is not-ah hard! You justa have ah some wine! Then ah-paint! Then a little more wine! Then-ah you paint! After awhile you take a nap! Then you have-ah some more wine! Great looking bird guys!

Good advice! Wine and/or beer is a normal part of my painting routine so no problem there!

OK, time to get cracking on this camo! Started with pre-shading. I incorporated some panel to panel variation to help define panels and represent repaired or replaced areas.

preshade lower web.jpg

I wasn't so fussed about the upper side as the camo here will be dark and busy so will obscure most of the pre-shade. I went over this more quickly, concentrating mainly on the cowl and where the white stripe will be.

preshade upper web.jpg

Thanks for riding along guys :thumbleft:

Thanks guys! Decided to do a little trial to try and decide how I'm going to approach this camo. Alternative horizontal stabs for the later Serie options were supplied with the kit, so I decided to use these as mules for my test. I sprayed them Giallo Mimetico and then marked out the camo pattern with pencil on one and used Blu-Tack to mask the pattern on the other.

camo test a web.jpg

I then free-handed the marked one with Verde Mimetico and sprayed over the Blu-Tack masks. The Blu-Tack masks left an edge I felt was too hard and required feathering free-hand, which sort of defeated the purpose but was still a lot quicker than full free-handing.

camo terst b web.jpg

What do you think? I wasn't 100% happy with either method as I hadn't quite dialled in the thinning ratio and spraying pressure, but both could work. Once I got a bit of a better handle on paint and air pressure, I flipped the stabs over and started playing around painting some random patterns free-hand.

camo test c web.jpg

That could work. I'm leaning towards free-handing but will need to chew on it for a bit. Any opinions welcome...

Looking quite good I would say. Also you may try to revert the order of applying colours. I mean the green first then the masking of the green areas and applying of the sand spots...

Of course the free-hand applying is the best way but requires some of patience and accuracy.

Definitely freehand - it takes time and patience, as you've guessed, and thinking ahead, so that one section doesn't overlap the next, but certainlygives good results.

Thanks guys. Wojtek and Andy, spraying the sand yellow over the green would definitely be quicker and easier but, as discussed above, looking at the reference pictures I don't think this is the way it was done in real life so I'm thinking to do it green over sand to replicate the camo pattern as realistically as possible. I'm concerned if I do the sand over green the sand will just turn out looking like mottles rather than the pattern you can see in the references.

Maybe I'll do another trial with sand over green while I'm doing my next session to get white onto the airframe...

Good advice! Wine and/or beer is a normal part of my painting routine so no problem there!

I think whisky is in order here. Love this build Kirby. I have the same kit and because of this build I just ordered the Undercarriage kit and the PE saws. You are doing much better then I might but that goes without saying. As for the paint, I'll down a two liter bourbon bottle on this before I start!
411855.jpg

Here's to your health and a great build.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back