**** DONE: GB-55 1/48 Messerschmitt Bf 109 G-6 - MTO III

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think it looks very good thus far keep at it.;)

I have the Eduard Profipak for this one in cue. If the line is clear molded I believe I'll thin down some clear blue, or green, and coat that area. Doing some experimenting, and asking opinions, before final.

That glass tube only had fuel in after the external tank was filled, the engine was running at above 1.00 ata and the transfer air valve was selected to pressurise the external tank. The glass was otherwise clear.

Eng

I was wondering about that. I wouldn't be too keen to have a line full of fuel running next to my elbow all the time. Looks good RH!
Unfortunately, that was the way it was for any 109 with the under fuselage fuel tank, until the tank was dropped on contact. The risk was obviously considerable until the tank was dropped. However, risk was high for all in WW2.

Eng

That glass tube only had fuel in after the external tank was filled, the engine was running at above 1.00 ata and the transfer air valve was selected to pressurise the external tank. The glass was otherwise clear.

Eng
Ok. To be clear. I'm low in my main tanks, I engage the transfer from the aux. to replenish the main. The aux
fuel is transfered via air pressure? Thus, when aux. empty, so would be the transfer lines? No residual ? The clear piece was for pilot peace of mind to verify fuel was indeed transfering? Back to white again???

Ok. To be clear. I'm low in my main tanks, I engage the transfer from the aux. to replenish the main. The aux
fuel is transfered via air pressure? Thus, when aux. empty, so would be the transfer lines? No residual ? The clear piece was for pilot peace of mind to verify fuel was indeed transfering? Back to white again???
Most likely your gonna feed from the drop tank till combat or it's empty than from wing.

Most likely your gonna feed from the drop tank till combat or it's empty than from wing.
Hmmm. Not sure how these sequences worked? I was under the impression that the drop tanks were the fuel of last resort? But then again it would make sense to empty it then lighten your load by jettisoning
it. Need to read all the latest books I've acquired .

Drop tank fuel first, thus starting with full on-board tanks as late as possible into the mission. Drop tanks were a liability in combat so always used first. And yes they were typically drained using compressed air to displace the fuel up the pipe.

Drop tank fuel first, thus starting with full on-board tanks as late as possible into the mission. Drop tanks were a liability in combat so always used first. And yes they were typically drained using compressed air to displace the fuel up the pipe.
That certainly makes sense. As stated earlier, I need to do more reading and less picture looking when I grab a book.

Here comes the dangerous part; I got to thinking. If the model I'm building has the drop tank attached, then by default it is pre-mission. So by default the lines leading to the main tank, to replenish, would have fuel in them? So, back to the fuel colored sight line? I know...pickey, pickey.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back