**** DONE: Junkers Ju 87D of Slovak Air Arms - Aircraft In Foreign Service GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Almost done... I had some problems with the decals today. These are some kind of aftermarket set, but rather of poor quality or they are simply old, or both. The problem was that transparent parts of the decals weren't all that transparent. It's not silvering or anything but rather some whitish stuff on the parts where they should be transparent. And this only becomes evident when you try to apply them on the model. As you know I originally wanted to do a Slovak Stuka with white code letters on the fuselage. But because of the aforementioned problem and because the decals accidentally torn apart I had to change plans. It's not a big problem though, because out of 10 Stukas delivered to Slovak Air Arms only first four carried these codes and the rest didn't. So I switched to the aircraft number 5 (note the small white number on the rudder) and solved the problem. I avoided the same issue with the national insignia crosses by carefully cutting off all transparent decal film around the crosses and then put them in place.

Anyway, gonna break the GB deadline a little, but I expect to finish this build very soon.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 183
Good stuff Igor. The 'whitish stuff' on the clear film of the decals is the adhesive, which has 'gone off'. This can be cured by slipping the decal off the backing paper, turning it over on a finger or thumb, then carefully brushing off the milky adhesive, using a wet brush. Then, place the decal as normal, but use a decal solution and/or water on the surface. Press in place, then add a little more decal solution. They should then be fine when sealed with a clear coat.
To see this in practice, have a look at my build of the 'Bob Cross Spitfire MkVIII', where I had to do this on 30 year old 'Almark' SEAC decals.
It's a pain, but works !!

Aha, thanks for the explanation Terry. Never encountered this before, but now I'll know what to do if it happens again.
Cheers!

Nicely done Igor, if you pull your finger out and can finish in the next couple of days......we may include you in judging....subject to the other judges nods of agreement or thumbs down.....

Working on it Wayne. Just some finishing touches still required both here and with my other entry - the Yugoslav Bf 109. Should be done soon.

Thanks for the comments guys and thanks to the judges for additional time. Here's one shot of finished build. For more photos check the official ****Finished thread.
Cheers!

Attachments

• SDC12036.JPG
    SDC12036.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 200

Users who are viewing this thread

Back