**** DONE: P-47M Thunderbolt - Lt. Russ Kyler - Aircraft of the Aces GB

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Steve! I'll try to find something close to that color. I see also that the push rods are chrome instead of black as well. Guess I'll be repainting those. Everything I had found said that they were black.

Thanks, Steve! I'll try to find something close to that color. I see also that the push rods are chrome instead of black as well. Guess I'll be repainting those. Everything I had found said that they were black.

That piccy is an engine undergoing restoration. I know Nigel paints his push rod tubes black as well so I'd leave yours as they are.
Cheers
Steve

Good stuff again Steve. And yes, most radial engines had the push rod tubes in black, and all pics, period and present day, I've seen of P47s have them black. Here's one I took at Duxford, and there are more general detail shots if you need them.

Attachments

• Czech 207.jpg
    Czech 207.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 218
I will leave them black, then. Thanks, guys! Now to find a color in my paints to match those braided wire coverings......

No, they were in the kit, too. Part C15. I believe I saw three different types on the sprues when I was looking over the kit.

Oh, I see now. Just checked my unbuilt kit and they are there but not called up on the instruction sheet. My sheet calls for parts C15 which are the rounded ones. Glad I asked!

Here are some pics of the R-2800-57 C-series engine that was on the P-47M and P-47N. A much different look than the earlier R-2800s on all the other mods of the P-47.

Attachments

• PW280057C_1.jpg
    PW280057C_1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 169
  • r2800.jpg
    r2800.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 252
  • r2800_1double_wasp.jpg
    r2800_1double_wasp.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 408
Well, I'm done with what I'm going to do to the engine. It will be inside the cowl, so I'm not going any farther on detail. I put some wiring on the outer cylinders and did a little wash for weathering effect. Thanks so much for the reference pics! If I ever do a cowl-off P-47, I will have everything I need!

Img_2502.jpg

Andy

Here are some pics of the R-2800-57 C-series engine that was on the P-47M and P-47N. A much different look than the earlier R-2800s on all the other mods of the P-47.

Hi all.
Looking great Andy, and spot on with the choice of magnetos for a R-2800-57 C series.
Not all P-47N's were fitted with the 2800-57. Some batches had the 2800-73 and some the 2800-77, both of which were C series engines.

The bottom photo of the 3 above is a CB16.
It's a post war P+W 2800 and wasn't fitted to any WW2 aircraft, although its commonly used on modern day rebuilds of them.
Tamiya includes magnetos for this version in M kit, parts # G1.

This is a guide to Magneto types for P-47's ( with Tamiya Part numbers) which may come in handy for future reference.
http://p47.kitmaker.net/modules.php...le=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=127149&page=1

All the best,
Nige

Editor
http://p47.kitmaker.net

Owner
http://56thfightergroup.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, guys! And thanks, Nige. Another link added to my P-47 references favorites folder. :)

Worked a little on the kit this morning. Got the engine in the cowl and the instrument panel done, though I'm not completely satisfied with the panel. Going to the nearest hobby shop (30 miles) to get some paint for the rest of the cockpit later today. Will post pics soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back