**** DONE: Revell 1/72nd scale Lancaster BIII, 'Oozlum Bird', 625 Sqn, RAF, GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again guys. Working on detailing the turrets a bit at the moment, whilst the varnish hardens fully. Might get some pics up later tonight.

Wonderful job Terry. Never liked the Humbrol tins but looks like you've found a use for them! Thanks for the info on the airbrush. I'm still trying to master extremely fine lines myself with my Paasche VL.

Thanks Andy - the 'Bumbrol' tins are more useful than the paint these days!!
Anyway, I've got a bit of work done on the front turret. The glazing is beautifully clear and, although the turret base has some detail, mainly in the form of the main gun mount and a slightly incorrect seat, plus the twin Brownings off course, I thought it would look a little bare, even in this scale, without the prominent internal framework and gun trunnions.
PIC 1 shows the parts as provided in the kit, less the individually moulded guns. As you can see, the turret base has been simplified, and moulded with easy installation in mind; consequently the turret ring is far too small in diameter. The first job was to open-up the turret ring, and remove the rear section of the gun mounting supports, before measuring up for the basic framework etc.
PICS 2 to 4 The main hoop frame has been added, made from stretched sprue, and superglued into small holes drilled into the rim of the base. The diagonal hoop supports were then added to the front, again using stretched sprue. Both of these items are slightly over scale, but thinner sprue wouldn't conform, and hold the weight of the other parts, without kinking and bending. I had thought of using thin brass wire - but I didn't have any!!
The circular gun trunnions were added from thin plastic card discs, punched out using an ordinary paper punch, and trimmed on their bottom edges, then the perforated, triangular frames were added, again from thin plastic card, after drilling the holes, and bent to approximately the corect angle and shape. The lower trunnion supports were glued in place, cut from slivers of plastic strip, and ammunition tanks, from thicker plastic card, glued to the underside of the rear gun mount supports.
Once the parts have fully set, they'll be filed smooth and cleaned-up, before adding the guns, and painting the main components. The ammunition feeds and a reflector gunsight will be made and fitted last, before assembling the turret, the rear wall and glazing.
Next job is to repeat the exercise on the rear turret, before moving on to the main undercarriage assemblies and wheels. The mid-upper turret can't be tackled until near the final assembly, and this will be done after the decaling and matt coat.
Thanks once again for your interest and kind comments, and I'll have another update soon.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 083.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 083.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Avro, Bomber GB 085.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 085.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 106
  • Avro, Bomber GB 088.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 088.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 92
  • Avro, Bomber GB 086.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 086.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 100
Great work on the turret mate , admire your patience with those things

I've been putting them off on 'Friday'

Fiddly little buggers!

Thanks Vic and H, and yes, another late(ish) night!
Vic, I did the original Tamiya 1/48th Lanc for an ex- navigator, about 30 years ago, and yes, it was big! There's a place here in the UK which has the updated Tamiya kit on offer at £58, and I've been seriously tempted. Doing this teeny (to me) Lanc is pushing me more and more towards getting the kit, so....I might buy myself a birthday prezzy !!

Nice work, Terry. Wanted to add my 2 cents: Got my "golden age of flight" calendar today and it has color pictures of a Lanc in flight (from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum), one of only 2 in flying condition today. The picture shows that the exhaust stains are light grey and that each engine produces 2 clearly separated stains. Thought that might be helpful.

Thanks very much Ed. Many modellers get the stains wrong. They are, as you say, light grey, and in WW2 service, when there wasn't a dedicated Display Crew keeping the aircraft spick and span, the stains built up heavily, with a pinkish brown tinge to the light grey. Also, on one engine only, the stains were weaker on one side of the upper surface, and more dense beneath. BTW, I've worked with, and flown in, the other airthworthy Lanc, B.Mk1 (and a half!) PA474.

Nice, intricate work on the turret Terry! Like you, I've seen the real thing close up. I'm amazed at how samll and cramped these things really are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back