**** DONE: Revell 1/72nd scale Lancaster BIII, 'Oozlum Bird', 625 Sqn, RAF, GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks very much guys, should get some more done tonight - I hope!
Daniel, from what I remember, the 1980's Airfix Lanc was good, certainly the best of its time, but I think the Revell kit has it overall, except for a couple of areas. The Airfix main wheels and bomb load are certainly better - the Revell bombs are very plain, although they do have the separate bomb carriers, which is a nice touch. Not sure whether she'll be loaded or ready for 'D.I.'s' yet though.

Well 'Oozlum Bird' has now moved from the production factory (Yeadon, now Leeds/Bradford airport, for the real LM546) to the final assembly sheds. The wings and tailplanes are on, the inner wheel bays built up, and the engine nacelles fitted, along with the H2s scanner and housing, and the upper turret cam track fairing, plus other small bits and pieces, such as exhaust shrouds, radiators etc.
As regards to the wing, and criticism of it lacking dihedral, I think this is more an optical illusion in all honesty. The dihedral does appear to be a little shallow, but I think this is more due to the thickness, at mid chord, of the wing at the joint area from the centre section. Checking the angle against AVRO drawings, the kits' wing is maybe a degree or so out and, if any modeller wanted to improve the look, a simple cut along the joint of the lower surface, where the centre section to main joint is on the real aircraft, and scoring of the inside of the upper wing joint, together with a wedge and spacer, would easily sollve the problem. I decided it wasn't worth the effort, as the rest of the kit, with the possible exception of the main wheels and bombs, is excellent. This really is a truly beautiful kit, with detail, and moulding finesse I've never seen before on a 1/72nd scale kit. But then, apart from the 'builds itself' little FW190 I did for the first GB introduction, this is the first 1/72nd scale kit I've touched in at least 20 years!
Anyway, here' the state of play so far.
PIC 1. The internal wheel bay structure, matching the real aircraft almost perfectly. Six parts make up this area, and the part in the foreground is the mounting point for the main landing gear legs, as per the real thing.
PIC 2. The engine nacelle built up around the wheel bay, with the inner surfaces and bulkheads painted black, contrasting with the internal surfaces.
PIC 3. The carb intakes were provided as separate parts, and the fronts have been drilled out to provide a more convincing look. They have yet to be filed straight in this shot.
PIC 4. The cam track fairing in place. The design of the upper turret construction sequence allows for masking for the main painting, with the internal parts and turret glazing being fitted easily later. Note the separate, transparent part for the rear upper escape hatch at the left of the picture, with the circular window masked.The black along some panel lines and the centre joint line is the remnants of of thin coat of black, used to check the integrity of the fuselage joint, and to overpaint the side windows.
PIC 5. The bomb-aimer's late style lower window (optional part) has been masked and fitted, and again, paint used to check for any gaps. The slight gap at the rear. which also forms part of the line of the forward, lower escape hatch, has now been partly filled. Just visible is the small hole drilled for the whip antenna, and the port for the F24 camera.
PIC 6. What's the best way to fill a large round hole? With a large round plug of course! As both the front and rear turret fairings need to be left off until the turrets are fitted, which will obviously be after painting, the openings had to be masked. The turret area wasn't a major problem at the front, but it was a bit tricky trying to mask the opening for the bomb aimer'r blister, so this, and the hole for the astro dome, were simply plugged with rolled up paper! The small windows here, and around the centre section, were masked using Tamiya tape stuck in place and trimmed. I was going to use 'Maskol' liquid mask, a lot easier, but it should really be removed after three days, and I reckon it'll be a lot longer before any masking can come off.
PIC 7. How the model looks to date, polished and ready for priming. I don't often prime my models, but with all the white plastic, and a large area of black to spray, I thought a thin coat of light grey would not only make life easier, but also help highlight any missed areas around joints etc. I just hope the Humbrol enamel behaves, as both the current Matt and Satin Black don't seem to like to cover evenly, or dry in the case of the latter! Time will tell.
The next stage is to spray the basic camouflage colours, strating with the uppersurface Dark Earth, then work will be done on the main landing gear and wheels, allowing plenty of time for the paint to fully cure.
I though I had a pair of Airfix Lancaster wheels, but for some unknown reason, I only seem to have one. But, it shouldn't be too difficult to enhance the kit's rather plain wheels, so I'll get on with that next.
Thanks again for your interest and kind comments, more soon.

Attachments

• Avro, Bomber GB 041.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 041.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 108
  • Avro, Bomber GB 053.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 053.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 103
  • Avro, Bomber GB 043.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 043.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Avro, Bomber GB 055.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 055.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 99
  • Avro, Bomber GB 058.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 058.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Avro, Bomber GB 054.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 054.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Avro, Bomber GB 056.jpg
    Avro, Bomber GB 056.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 114
Thanks H. I was going to do a 1/48th RAF Mitchell III, and still might, if I have time. (want to get on with some other stuff.)
The interior on this was brush painted, as is normal for me. Sometimes I airbrush, depending how I feel, how big it is etc.
Camouflage I often use a paint brush for too, using the airbrush for mottles, large areas etc. Although, since I got the fine-line airbrush, I've tended to use it more for a lot of things. I draw the line at airbrushing something like a small I.D. line or similar, when a paint brush is just as good, and quicker and easier, with less preparation, masking, cleaning etc etc.

Nice work Terry! You're making quick progress on this one. I like the ribbing in the wheel wells and your holowed out carb intakes. Will we see the screens on these or is that too fiddley?

Thanks H. I was going to do a 1/48th RAF Mitchell III, and still might, if I have time. (want to get on with some other stuff.)
The interior on this was brush painted, as is normal for me. Sometimes I airbrush, depending how I feel, how big it is etc.
Camouflage I often use a paint brush for too, using the airbrush for mottles, large areas etc. Although, since I got the fine-line airbrush, I've tended to use it more for a lot of things. I draw the line at airbrushing something like a small I.D. line or similar, when a paint brush is just as good, and quicker and easier, with less preparation, masking, cleaning etc etc.

Sounds good! Cause the B-17 that I start REAL soon once I get the two twins (Stuka's) off the bench, I started airbrush but I think I'm gonna brush the one more firewall left.

Thanks guys. Andy, I'm not sure about the intake ice guards yet. I don't know if my hands can cope with the small scale these days - the last 1/72nd scale Lanc I did I made them, and lock bolts or the geartlegs, and gun cam lifters etc, but that was well over 20 years ago, and long before I got this stupid Rheuamtoid pain in the ars* Arthritis! If I was keeping this model, I think I'd definitelt try it, but as it's going to the Grandson of the pilot, I might give it a miss - have to see how i feel when the time comes!!

He He! In this scale Daniel, there's a very good chance I'll make a right Royal balls up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back