DONE: SB2C-4E Helldiver, VB-84, USS Bunker Hill, White 207, April 1945 Group Build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Username: Catch22
Category: 2
Scale: 1:48
Manufacturer: ProModeler Accurate Miniatures reboxing
Model Type: SB2C-4 Helldiver (to be converted to -4E with radar)
Details: USS Bunker Hill, 1945

Here is my fourth and final entry into the PTO Group Build, the Accurate Miniatures SB2C-4 Helldiver. I will be converting it to a -4E with the radar pod on the wing, thanks to Terry's help.

I do not have a profile of the actual plane, but I do know there was a number 207 on the Bunker Hill at the time of the Tokyo raids. The decals come with the correct style side numbers 702, so I will simply separate the numbers and put them in the right order, hence my doing 702 specifically.

Here's a built up one of 210, and a profile of 210. I am going to assume that 207 looked basically the same. If anyone can find a picture of 207, or just -4Es in general, they would be very welcome!

I started tonight by painting some interior green, not worth taking photos yet.

447f14ae3d1c7.jpg

Curtiss SB2C-4 Helldiver, Pro Modeller

Attachments

• Bunker Hill Helldiver.jpg
    Bunker Hill Helldiver.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
According to the first Captain of USS Yorktown, the CV-10, the only good use that the "beast" was good for, was as an anchor. He quickly swapped them for SBD's....

At the beginning they were not well liked nor were they that good. But by the time the -4 rolled around the kinks had been ironed out and it was a very good aircraft. It was fast too (for a dive bomber), its cruising speed was only 2 mph slower than that of a Hellcat's! Only the Corsair was significantly faster.

Glad to see you've got it on the stocks Cory. BTW, it's not as ugly as that fat little stupid barrel shaped thing that Jan likes so much!!

Cool build mate :thumbleft: also I saw this kit the other day -bloody huge

I dono whats ugly about it -reckon it looks real sweet from some angles

Oh yeah, it is a very cool looking plane. It's big too, in between the Avenger and Corsair in size. The wingspan on it is really big compared to the fuselage too, maybe it just seems that way though because I don't have a cowling on it.

Love the Helldiver! Looking forward to this one Cory! You've been very busy this GB, fair play to ya! :thumbleft:

OK Cory, you've got so many models in this GB we have another task for you. The judges have decided that, in order to display the finished models in order, and to represent their relative sizes accordingly, you will need to construct a true to scale carrier flight deck, complete, in 1/48th scale. You have five weeks in which to accomplish this task. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back