**** DONE: Spitfire LF IX MK392 JE-J flown by Wg Cdr 'Johnnie' Johnson, June 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oops! I forgot to mention backing the exhaust stubs! Simple job mate, just step-out a piece of plastic card, and mount the exhaust stubs to this after painting the model. JEJ lived only twelve miles from me, met him a couple of times, both in his home town (Buxton) and at air shows etc. Apparently a bit of a task master to work under, as Vic migjht confirm!

To right, loved his big parades, us all standing out on the hot stinking apron in 100F heat and 100+% humidity. God it was tough………………………………………

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Will be following this closely old boy, thinking of getting one for No. 331 Squadron and the Swede Stahlenberg, who flew (I think) 127 missions with the squadron, in D-day stripes.
A bit split between that and the '47..... :oops: :lol:

Interesting comparisons Jan - I reckon I'll stick with the ICM kit, mine, at least, seems free from the short-shots, sink marks etc.

I'll get down to the library here they have a book that may have pics of that bird, and Antoni are you sure about the Maple Leaf

went to library today and the books with the pics i wanted were out however their was a pic of the aircraft borrowed by JEJ for his 33rd kill

well i got the engine knocked together and splashed a few bits with cockpit green !
not going to paint the engine just doing the exhaust stubs as all the engine cowls will be in place.

pics soon as i get time from work

ok here are pics of the progress so far.
after building the engine and installing it in the fuselage i found that the top panel of the engine cowl would not fit over the parts that represent the rocker boxes, dont think i made a mistake when building but you never know, also i could not get the side cowls to fit onto the round end plate wich fit over the prop shaft.
so after ripping every thing apart i cut down the rocker boxes chopped off the prop shaft and some other bits from the front of the engine and after much sanding got everything to just about fit.
i then managed to get the wings together and fitted, which ar'nt a great fit either, also fitted the cannon blisters which need a bit of sanding around the edges

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    Picture 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Picture 002.jpg
    Picture 002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 004.jpg
    Picture 004.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
cheers mate, bit dissapointed with the kit would rather have a good fitting model with slightly less details that are not always seen, like the engine on this one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back