**** DONE: Spitfire LF IX MK392 JE-J flown by Wg Cdr 'Johnnie' Johnson, June 1944 (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good work Karl. Some good pointers there too - think I'll leave out the engine on mine, might make the fit a bit better.

cheers Terry.
i may have made a mistake with the engine fittings, but that said when i installed the firewall and engine assembly into the fuselage the exhausts were in the right place !!!! but the top cowl piece was just not wide or deep enought to cover the engine and then mate up with the side panels.
i ended up cutting the engine rocker boxes down unitll they were level with the top of the exhaust stubs.

I'm wondering if it's an 'either / or' situation. Either install the engine and leave off the cowlings (or use the separate ones?), or leave out the engine and have a close-fitting cowling. I'll find out when I do mine, no doubt!
But, on the first one, I'll leave out the engine anyway, and on the next one, install the engine and leave off the cowlings, but I'll have a 'fiddle' to see if it can be installed with the cowlings, and fit properly. Where there's a razor saw, there's a way !!!

The swear on the throwing angle is equal to the sum of the swears on the lack of angle on the parts which don't fit. Therefore, three curses divided by two b@lls ups, multiplied by the square root of eff all = success!!

good work, i've made the mark xvi spitfire icm kit it take alot of work but worth it.great build!

Originally Posted by rochie View Post
thats what i told myself amongst all the swearing and cursing and throwing stuff

I KNOW what you mean Karl i had the same with my ICM spit Mk IX

ok more work done.
pic 1
wing tips and tailplanes fitted and white painted on wings and fusealge ready for D-day stripes
pic 2
shows the terrible fit of the lower cowl panels
pic 3-4
gaps filled ready for a bit of sanding:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 137
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Picture 007.jpg