**** DONE: Spitfire LF IX MK392 JE-J flown by Wg Cdr 'Johnnie' Johnson, June 1944

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oops! I forgot to mention backing the exhaust stubs! Simple job mate, just step-out a piece of plastic card, and mount the exhaust stubs to this after painting the model. JEJ lived only twelve miles from me, met him a couple of times, both in his home town (Buxton) and at air shows etc. Apparently a bit of a task master to work under, as Vic migjht confirm!

To right, loved his big parades, us all standing out on the hot stinking apron in 100F heat and 100+% humidity. God it was tough………………………………………

Will be following this closely old boy, thinking of getting one for No. 331 Squadron and the Swede Stahlenberg, who flew (I think) 127 missions with the squadron, in D-day stripes.
A bit split between that and the '47.....

I'll get down to the library here they have a book that may have pics of that bird, and Antoni are you sure about the Maple Leaf

went to library today and the books with the pics i wanted were out however their was a pic of the aircraft borrowed by JEJ for his 33rd kill

well i got the engine knocked together and splashed a few bits with cockpit green !
not going to paint the engine just doing the exhaust stubs as all the engine cowls will be in place.

pics soon as i get time from work

ok here are pics of the progress so far.
after building the engine and installing it in the fuselage i found that the top panel of the engine cowl would not fit over the parts that represent the rocker boxes, dont think i made a mistake when building but you never know, also i could not get the side cowls to fit onto the round end plate wich fit over the prop shaft.
so after ripping every thing apart i cut down the rocker boxes chopped off the prop shaft and some other bits from the front of the engine and after much sanding got everything to just about fit.
i then managed to get the wings together and fitted, which ar'nt a great fit either, also fitted the cannon blisters which need a bit of sanding around the edges

Attachments

• Picture 001.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Picture 002.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 161
  • Picture 003.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Picture 004.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 168
  • Picture 005.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 177
Last edited: