**** DONE: Spitfire Mk. I P9306 ZP H of No 74 Squadron Battle of Britain Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Coming together nicely Glenn. Question: did you bust out the protruding machine guns or are they just not visible? I've been kinda wondering about those but some scale drawings of the Mk I Spit I have shown them. If they were there, diud they apply the red patches over them? Maybe Terry will chime in too.

Thanks Guys! Still a lot to do with the fiddly bits, and I still have to make those serial decals.
Coming together nicely Glenn. Question: did you bust out the protruding machine guns or are they just not visible? I've been kinda wondering about those but some scale drawings of the Mk I Spit I have shown them. If they were there, diud they apply the red patches over them? Maybe Terry will chime in too.
I intend to put the red patches on so I cut the guns that protruded out. In most pictures I've seen the guns were not visible.

The original gun set-up had flash suppressors on the muzzles, so the outboard guns muzzles just protruded from the gun ports, due to the narrower chord in this area.
The suppressors were later deleted, leaving the muzzles inside the wings, so cutting off the kit part is correct. I think this is probably another case of a manufacturer going off scale plans, or a particular preserved example. Certainly by the time of the BoB, and even earlier, and from then on, the muzzles were inside the wing, with the fabric patch being flush with the wing leading edge.

Ah, thanks Terry! My scale plans do show them but there's no time period depicted or note saying that they were removed. Looks like I'll be taking mine off then.

Ah, thanks Terry! My scale plans do show them but there's no time period depicted or note saying that they were removed. Looks like I'll be taking mine off then.

Looks like I'll be doing the same with mine.

Paints looks really good Glenn. The colors plus the nice, shiny smooth surface for the decals.

Thanks Jason, it was a relief getting those decals done the way they were going, and thanks Terry for the info. I went back and forth about cutting those guns off as they were relay nicely molded, but I wanted the gun patches, and they didn't show in most pictures. I should have asked you, it would have been a much easier decision!

I bought a new ink jet printer to replace my broken one, so naturally the broken one started working again.:evil: Anyway I printed out the serial number decals last night and coated them with future and will be able to put them on today. That and a couple of no walk lines on the wings will finish the decals. Pictures later.

I put on the serial numbers and gave the whole thing another brush coat of Future.

PA283508.JPG
PA283509.JPG
PA283510.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back