**** DONE: Spitfire MkVb,31st FG,USAAF - Aircraft in Foreign Service GB (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colours don't look too bad but the pattern seems a bit off. There should be a sheet in the box showing the exact pattern scaled to the exact model size that you could use for reference. I've even used it as a mask myself.

Looking pretty good so far, but I agree with Andy. The upper surface was standard RAF Day Fighter camouflage pattern, with the un-wanted roundels painted out. The colours were Dark Green and Ocean Grey (the latter sometimes 'Mixed grey', which was slightly lighter). The upper surface grey on your model looks a touch too light for either of these, although it could be the effect of the lighting.

Just a tip, something I learned in here with my first GB. We've all been thru it.

Measure the model, wing tip to wing tip, from the underside. Then enlarge the top view diagram in the insdtructions to the same size on a copy machine. Cut the camo pieces from this and blue tac them to the plane and use them as masks. I did this on my Defiant, I had to re-paint the whole camo scheme to get the correct colors and paterns. Hope this helps. Bill

Attachments

• 27%20r-p2.jpg
    27%20r-p2.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 105
And on another note.
Notice dark and light are switched for the opposite camo scheme, depending on the serial number of the plane, if I recall correctly?

Actually, the Tamiya Spit should already have the camo drawing inlcuded at the right scale in which case there's no need to do the scale adjustment that Bill mentioned.

Second verse, same as the first....well nearly.

IMG_1149.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG

Resprayed the camo. Tried to out think myself the first time - decal sheet scheme pattern is slightly different to standard, looked at reference photo too long and tried to incorporate the respainted areas into one round of masking. Will now just respray the overpainted areas.
Re: the colour of Ocean Grey I have used model master paints which seems to cause some debate about its shade.
Need to touch up a few spots and struggle on.

Thanks for looking,

David.

Certainly looking a lot better. I'd stay with that shade of grey - it's a tad light for Ocean Grey, but fairly close to 'Mixed Grey' and, as Andy pointed out, there were variations. Plus, these aircraft were 'secondhand' passed on from the RAF, so very likely more weathered/faded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back