**** DONE: Spitfire MkVIII, 136 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1944, Commonwealth GB.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I can e-mail a copy of the master, if it'll help Andy?
Forgot to post the pics of the detail painting, prior to the gloss coat, so here they are.
PIC 1 Masking in place ready for brush-painting the wing-walk lines. These are normally in black, but I wanted a slightly faded look, and didn't want them appearing too stark, so a very dark grey mix was used.
PIC 2. An overall view of the painted lines after removing the masks. The lines were next 'toned down' some more by dry-brushing the camouflage colours over the top, followed by some heavier 'chipping' with the same colours.
PIC 3. Another view showing the walk lines, and the painted 'fabric' patches over the machine gun ports and the cannon muzzle. The MG ports will have a spot of PVA inserted, which will shrink back when dry, and the patches will then be re-painted, giving the appearance of the 'fabric' being depressed slightly into the openings.
PICS 4 and 5. The first stage of painting the exhaust stains. These will be done again, once the gloss coat has been applied, and then yet again after the matt clear coat, which will give the desired multi-toned effect. Also just visible here are the retouched code letters, and the 'fabric' patch over the (redundant) signal flare port on the rear, starboard fuselage.
All being well, the next update should show the gloss coat, with the first of the decals in place, these being the home-made stencils, although there's a chance the roundel decals might arrive by then.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 177.jpg
    Bob Cross build 177.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 91
  • Bob Cross build 179.jpg
    Bob Cross build 179.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Bob Cross build 180.jpg
    Bob Cross build 180.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Bob Cross build 181.jpg
    Bob Cross build 181.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 102
  • Bob Cross build 183.jpg
    Bob Cross build 183.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 97
Looking awesome Terry. Tanks for the offer on the stencils Terry, I may take you up on that. Let me get back to you after I check my spares as I may have some yet.

happy0034.gif

Looks good Terry and I love the decals but you should have told me and I could have sent you my proof decals from the last build which also include ones for the prop....

Offer is open to you as well Andy.

Beautiful work Terry! Looks like the stencils came out great too. Looks like you'll finish with plenty of time to spare.
Maybe you'll have time to finish up that Buccaneer........ Maybe I'll have time to actually start mine :lol:

Thanks guys, I appreciate your kind comments.
Vic, I've got the prop decals, as there was only the datum and pitch stencils on each blade. The prop was a Dowty Rotol, but of course with the wooden, Jablo blades, same as the MkIX and MkXVI, which didn't normally have the Rotol emblem on them.
BTW, it's a common error with modellers, when painting a MkIX/VIII/XVI, to add paint chipping to the prop blades - it shouldn't be there! The black finish to the blades was actually a thin, rubber membrane, designed to prevent moisture ingress, which could throw out the balance and, at worst, split the laminates. A Spit pilot told me that, if the blades got any form of nick or other puncture in the membrane, they'd borrow a lady's nail varnish, to 'paint' over the area, thus sealing it!
Which brings me to the shape of the blades in the ICM kit. Like Andy, I think they don't look quite right, and I have a feeling they might be modelled from a current, restored or airworthy Spit. Most, if not all of these aircraft are fitted with Hoffman props (made in Germany!), which have a slightly 'heavier' look to them, and have metal blades which look very like the style provided in the kit.
As the prop is next in line, I'm considering using one from the spares box, if I can achieve a good enough fit with the kit back plate. If not, then I'll re-profile the kit blades.

Terry
It looks fabulous! The effort you are putting in to get it just right is greatly appreciated.
Billiant!!!
Barbara

Thanks very much Wayne, Karl and Wojtek, and especially Barbara.
That's made my day!
I always have some slight trepidation when doing a model or a painting for someone, as there's always a real chance, however slight, that their expectations might be greater than my skills and the appearance of the end product. With this endorsement, I can continue with confidence, and just hope I don't mess up at the end!
Hopefully, I'll get the stencil decals on tonight, and then proceed with the prop and landing gear, as well as painting the canopy and windscreen frames, and the entrance hatch. I intend to add some detail in the way of latches to these, if possible. Not so sure on the canopy, as there isn't a lot of contact area on which to attach a scratch-built latch, jettison ball, and wires!
Time will tell, and if any of you hear strange Geordie cursing drifting on the air, it's only me, trying to make and fit the canopy details!!

Terry, I'm all ears , listening to the cursing in the Shakespeare's language certainly.....:lol: Poland is not too far from your island.

No problem my friend. I have a very good hearing contrary to my eyesight. However you have to more articulate "r" letter and endings of words.. :lol: All will be fine then. :D

Last edited:
That's betterrr. :lol: Now , add ten pints or 1l of vodka and you can speak Polish more fluently. But then another day....cursing in the Shakespeare's language. :lol: if you would be able to do that.

After 10 pints, or 1L of Vodka, I can't even speak, never mind curse - in any language!
Anyway, after almost three hours, I got the home-made stencils decals on, 23 of them, plus one decal from the spare decals files, the latter being a small, white letter 'E' on the lower nose cowling. I found a photo of three of the Squadron pilots, standing beneath the nose of a Spit VIII, which showed the repeated individual code letter, apparently in white (This was to aid ground crews in marshalling the aircraft on return from operations, and was fairly common in many RAF squadrons.), so it's fair to assume that HM-E had it's letter on the nose too.
The decals went on quite well, although a bit tricky in some places, as they are very small, and quite delicate. I'd made a number of spares, as I anticipated some being damaged during application, and I'm quite pleased that I only lost three, two being the tiny oil specification instruction on the port engine cowling - a real pain to apply, as access was difficult, with such a small decal needing to be placed centrally on a hatch cover measuring about 2.5 mm across.
The pics show the majority of the home-made decals, and the white letter 'E', which are still settling, and yet to be cleaned-up and sealed with a further gloss clear coat. (Sorry about the poor quality of the pics - the light scatter from the gloss coat limited things a bit !
So now, there are only six roundels and two fin flashes to apply, once the decal sheet arrives from Hannant's. Meanwhile, it's time to get to work on the prop, canopy, landing gear and gunsight, some of which I hope to show in the next up-date.

Attachments

• Bob Cross build 190.jpg
    Bob Cross build 190.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Bob Cross build 191.jpg
    Bob Cross build 191.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 92
  • Bob Cross build 194.jpg
    Bob Cross build 194.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 94
Thanks Andy and Aaron. Heck, I've just noticed the time! I'm off to hit the sack - need my beauty sleep. (No comments please, I do realise that there will never be enough time to get beautiful!!). Darned forum, can't seem to get away from it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back