Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Biggles

• Ace of Aces

• Lafayette Escadrille

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Keeping with the theme/poll of favorite war movies, heres one for those movies of the Great War. Listed as many as I could remember but if you have a suggestion let me know.

Last edited:
without a doubt Paths of Glory with honourable mention to Galipoli but I would like to see the new one called Paschendaele

Sorry Grau and thanks. I've added your additions.

I've also made this a multiple choice because all the griping from the last ones! :)

I saw one about the French, I think Kirk Douglas was in it but I can't remember the name of the film

You forgot my favourite, Aces High!

That's a great movie- it's been years since I've seen it.

I have to go with the 1930 All Quiet on the Western Front for impact and scale and story.

Aces High or the Lighthorsemen would be second,

Wings and The Lost Battalion tied for third

The Light Horsemen really needs to be on the list- great Aussie film bout fighting in Palastine against the Turks and a awesome cavalry charge.

Art

Last edited:
"Paths of Glory" Colin. An excellent film IMO.

Well worth watching the attack scene on Utube
I remember my grandfather who was at Pachendale saying that those who asked why the sqauddies seemed to walk rather than run during an assault should have a bash at covering one and a half miles carrying a rifle with 18 inch bayonet , ammo mills bombs while going in and out of 10 foot mud filled shell holes then do hand to hand at the end of it.
Then they may understand the reason for not trying to run the whole way as you would be dead as a nit soon as you face your enemy who was at the ready and not knackered.

I had to go with the All Quiet on the Western Front.

Why anyone would vote for Flyboys, escapes me. Sure it was a bit entertaining, but historically inaccurate, and all in all a pretty dumb movie. To each their own however, everyone can have there own opinion.

I'd like the poll better if you could choose just one film.
I'll have to rent a couple of these.

I believe Lew Aryes became a pacifist after he made AQWF the book is a great read. if you can watch the film in its original form the battle scenes were sepia toned and the peace toned blue.

Seen AQWF (back in highschool, so memory is sketchy), Blue Max and Hell's Angels. Voted for "Flyboys" for the better graphics etc more than anything else...then realized it was a multi-vote poll, but since I'd already voted it was too late to add the others. Dangit.

Would love to see Sgt. York.

I voted for All Quiet On The Western Front from 1979. I haven't seen the one from the 30's so I don't know how good it is.

Seen AQWF (back in highschool, so memory is sketchy), Blue Max and Hell's Angels. Voted for "Flyboys" for the better graphics etc more than anything else...then realized it was a multi-vote poll, but since I'd already voted it was too late to add the others. Dangit.

Would love to see Sgt. York.

The poll's a multi-vote? D'oh!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back