Focke-Wulf Fw 190D-9 Braunen 4, W.nr.500647 - Me/ Fw Group Build (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I will be in the near future there, maybe i can make som photos so you can imagine the landscape better

That would be good Thomas.

Latest: rudder removed as resin item too good to waste...Braunen 4's severely damaged rudder will come from the spares box or scratch.
(server dosen't want pics to be in correct order for some reason)

Agree on the resin Even, it's a nice reproduction.

As for the picture order, I have found you need to upload then in the order you want one at a time by just ticking the box of the one you're uploading, but if some are in the sequence to your liking, then tick these boxes and they will upload in that order.

Thanks for the comments and advice guys, will give that a go!

Dave, I cut the tail in stages:
-First masked the upper vertical with the trusty insul (electrical) tape, and cut evenly from both sides with the razor saw.
-Next masked the main vertical, and cut in same fashion as above, but to just a little under half thickness - needed to retain a semi rigid joint to prevent stress on the horizontal section while cutting (felt this would have been harder to cut with long vertical at full thickness).

-To cut the horizontal, all masking tape was removed, and worked both sides evenly with the craftknife* (again to just under half thickness).
(*will use the scalpal in future rather than the craftknife, as Wojtek suggested - thinner blade)
-Then continued carefully (and evenly) working this and the long vertical section together till completely seperated, using razorsaw in the long cuts and craftknife at the junctions. Cleaned up with the flat file to finish.

(Any advice on a better way of achieving this would be appreciated, as I have other similar projects :))

Next stages to be tackled: hollowing out of the rudder hinge areas, tail wheel well, elevator control bar cutout (aft of the tailplanes), and tail access panel, followed by some interior detailing... this will not be quick....:)

Looks like you got the right method there. I've heard about somebody using dental floss but maybe not on resin. Tried it once on plastic but found it very hard to control the cut direction.

Thanks Jan and Chris!

Chris, have the first part of that build in photocopied form in my folder, but not the undercarriage section. Cheers for posting - will come in handy soon!

Also it should have been mentioned that the model shown on the site with the link to, was of 1/48 scale what caused making of these details easier.

True my friend!

Latest...elevator bar slots cut from tail (to be hollowed out) and fuel filler hatches in progress.

As always, if anyone spots any mistakes, or has any info to better detail anything let me know, no matter how trivial it may seem. I want this to be 'correct'.

Btw, in your opinions do any other hatches need opening? The port Balkenkreuz looks weird for example in the photo on page 1, as if the hatch is partially open - what d'yas reckon?

STA52476.JPG
STA52447.JPG
STA52448.JPG
STA52512.JPG
STA52525.JPG
STA52526.JPG
STA52527.JPG

The tail panel looks partly open to me in that pic Evan. Also, the two long hatches on the underside of the fuselage just behind the wheel wells are open in the pic. These would be for removing the ammo boxes which are probably removed so you'll have a big cavity there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back