GB 17 what are you thinking

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mine's a toss-up between the ME262 A-2a or the Fieseler Storch Fi156C Gran Sasso. But I'm erring on the side of the Fieseler at the moment.
Vaughan

Attachments

• Me262.jpg
    Me262.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 79
  • 20121009_0663ds.jpg
    20121009_0663ds.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 97
I am thinking I'm gonna wait for some officialdom to step in here. I've got a 1/48 Typhoon that can be converted to a photo/recon bird or a 1/48 U-2 Senior Span if all hell breaks loose. :twisted:

Geo

Are we talking Hawker Typhoon or Eurofighter 2000 Typhoon Geo as GB17 Recon-Transport-Observer Aircraft is related to WWII and the U-2 is a little late for the Jet Age 1944-45.

So folks, comments please. Do we open this up a tad from Early Jet Age and Recon-Transport-Observer to, lets say the mid to late 50's.

Oh crap, if we did that, the F9F's I have abandoned would have fit in.
I wouldn't a got the bl00dy F6F-5N to turn into a 5P!

At this moment, Bill, the only difference I can find without further digging, is a wee hole off the port wing to fit a K-18 camera lens. I leave for camp today, but I'll do some more searching when I get back next week.

bill2.JPG

bill3.JPG

*From Aero Details 17

Geo

Last edited:
I wouldnt mind it being expanded to 50s Jets as well :)

I have a 1/72 F-80F that would look sharp in peruvian markings hehehe :)

I won't be taking part, as I have too many other things I want to get on with, but I agree with Andy. If the GB is expanded, it will be difficult to decide exactly where to stop, in each section. Also, it means expanding, or changing, to suit the wishes of some, whilst others have already planned and prepared for the original theme.
My own thoughts would be to keep it at Transport and Recce in WW2, along with the 'Jet Age', the latter encompassing only first generation jets, which would include immediate post-war service, up to the end of the 1940s - that is, those types (such as the Meteor F1 and F3) which entered service towards the end of the war, and remained in service until around 1948/1949.
In this way, it allows for a very broad choice on transport and recce, with a narrower, but still interesting selection for early jets. Anything after the above time period, for jets, really deserves separate GBs, as the choice is vast, and also covers specific eras and conflicts, such as Korea, Suez, early, mid and late Viet Nam etc etc.

Yeah well.............................................
So I have bought too friggin many kits just to satisfy the brief........ ***I buy for the GB's, I don't have a Stash to choose from......

Why don't we Expand it to include anything jets up to the start of the Viet Nam war????
***We already have GB31 Conflicts 50's etc.

The brief has been SET. The build starts in less than a month........ Why set a brief if it changes up to the start date........

Just ***bloody sayin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I'll admit Bill, that when this GB was originally suggested, I thought it was for transport/recce/ jets in roughly the time period you mention. It's only since seeing comment elsewhere that I realised it seems to be for WW2, hence my comments above.
As mentioned, I won't be taking part anyway, so I have no 'axe to grind', and actually think that the time period mentioned by Bill might be better.
However, lately there seems to have been a number of requests or suggestions covering various GBs where it's almost as if some entrants are wanting to make a particular GB fit their kits, rather than the other way around. In this respect I agree with Bill - if a GB has been briefed for a certain type/period etc, then that's how it should be.
There have been, and will be in the future, a number of GBs where personal favourites can be catered for, including the endless Messerschmitts and Focke Wulfs, and the concept of the different GBs is to provide variation and contrast, in types, colours, eras and so on, so that viewers and participants (and judges!) can experience a host of different aircraft types, rather than the handful of similar types cropping up frequently.

I'm cool with whatever too :D its just when it was originally put forth as "Early Jet Age' I always thought Korea :D since thats where we saw jet vs jet. :D

WW2 was always the begining for me, since the Germans did have Me-262s, Arados, and He-162s vs the allies piston engine fighters, but when I read the initial Earl Jet Age, always makes me think of the start of combat for jet aircraft :D

Its cool either way I have lots of options worth exploring :D I have 2 Me-262s in the stash too which could be amazing, a B and a Mistel (are concepts ok)?

Me 163 fits to the GB requirements I suppose? True, it's not a jet but rather rocket powered aircraft. Still it fits the time frame and general theme me thinks.

Question answered folks and my apologies for putting you through the mire Bill.

GB17 brief remains unchanged folks and just to clarify:

GB.17. Starts 1st Feb 2013. Ends Sunday, 2 June 2013. Title: 'The Jet Age 1944-1945 and Reconnaissance-Transport-Observer Aircraft of WW2' SPLIT BUILD.

Wasn't saying it was the fault of the GB brief that I bought all them kits, it was the fault of my reading comprehension, or lack thereof.

Almost everything we could ever possibly build has been covered by the future GB's.

If they aren't, and we feel the need to build something not included, Start to Finish is the place. As I have submitted a couple of P-51's, a B-24, and will be the place I include my last choppers.

My intention with my above post was to curtail all the vacillating and to just get on with what everyone voted on for the future GB's. I hope I didn't sound like a whinger..... cuz I do enjoy the GB's.

Bill

Vic, thanks for setting the record straight. Pretty clear to me. Some may need to rethink their entries but the future builds should cover everything else anyway.

Igor, in my opinion, the Komet qualifies as a jet in the noted timeframe.

Yep Me too, 163 wise.
Bill, I am not sure what a "whinger" is, because I am not familiar with "Aussie" slang, but I am sure that if you were one, you would be the best one there ever was!
I only wish my wife was that supporting of me; "living the dream!"
You are my hero, buddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back